Nuclear Cruise Missile Disaster in Russia

"Russia’s nuclear energy agency has said an explosion that caused radiation levels to spike in the Arkhangelsk region was caused by an accident during a test of an “isotope power source for a liquid-fuelled rocket engine”.

In a statement released late on Friday, Rosatom said five of its employees had died as a result of the accident and three more were being treated for burns.

The statement was the first confirmation that the agency was involved in the incident, which briefly drove radiation levels up to 20 times their normal levels in the nearby city of Severodvinsk."

1 Like

Interesting stuff!
New York times has some good articles as well.

1 Like

paywall

:pensive:

That’s odd. I don’t pay for a subscription, but it opens for me. Maybe you get so many free articles a month?
There’s a short summary at Slashdot.
Unfortunately I couldn’t find an alternative link.

I just finished the first episode of Chernobyl 10 minutes ago. Wonder what the whole story on this new deal will turn out to be.

1 Like

I was just thinking the same thing. :expressionless:

Really good series, we watched it recently. It was interesting to track what I remember at the time when it was unfolding and what came out later.

Re paywall

Right, you only get a few freebies per month, after that, paywall

Not only a Paywall, you can’t view the site for free if you’re using an ad blocker or if you’re using Incognito Mode on your browser.

1 Like

A little off the subject, but while overseas as part of the Iraq war the intel guys showed us several videos of IED builders who blew themselves up while building bombs. Some of the video was shot by their compatriots for some reason.

If you play with nukes, and don’t take the necessary and expensive safety precautions, you could endanger millions.

Thanks for posting this. It shows just how dangerous a world we live in. If one of the so called major world powers can have this happen, what about the countries who just want to be nuclear powers but don’t have the safety processes or the skills to do so?

1 Like

This is making the rounds on Facebook…

2 Likes

Russia’s Nuclear Cruise Missile

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/25/649646815/russias-nuclear-cruise-missile-is-struggling-to-take-off-imagery-suggests

Which browser and Adblocker are you using? I don’t have that issue.

I tried it in Safari myself, no go. Then safari in private mode- little more. I then switched to Puffin browser & was able to read the whole article. I think the NYT only lets you read so many of their articles in a month without a subscription.

1 Like

I just read the NYT article with Chrome and uBlock Origin with no problems. I haven’t visited NYT in a while though so I have reached any quota.

The phrases “assured mutual destruction” and “nuclear winter” come to mind. We and Russia still possess more than enough weapons (by orders of magnitude) for those phrases to be relevant.