Now that's a set of calipers

6 foot long. what the heck would you use that on? I don’t think it’s 0.001" accurate though.

4 Likes

That can not possibly be useful…

Just the weight alone.

You think that is bad, what about the 6 foot micrometer? You have to measure the crankshaft journals on cruise ship Diesel engines somehow.

1 Like

Yes, they are that accurate. But they are getting large enough that temperature compensation may be needed. Largest set I’ve ever helped use were 72" . Used them in large diameter pipe weldments to get both pieces round enough to weld.

I’ve seen & was part of using 6ft micrometers. It was for a compressor, we suspected the diffuser plate guides were not deep enough. We suspected correctly. We did let them acclimate to the ambient temp in the plant. (At UTA)

2 Likes

Just curious: by how much were they off?

5 degrees would be about .0021" inches for 72 inches

Expansion of steel

We used to use large ones like that when I was making refractory blocks for glass furnaces… had to be within 2/1000 over a 4 ft length or bad things could happen… imagine a couple of tons of hot glass spilling out of a furnace.

Last I heard, they finally switched to laser based measurements on the really critical stuff though.

2 Likes

I used to perform electrical and control repairs on a 16 foot vertical boring mill, before retiring last year. They used this size (and larger) to check the I.D. and O.D. on the items they turned on this mill.

4 Likes