November Meeting Minutes Posted and a Thank you

Meeting minutes for the November Machine Shop Committee minutes have been saved to the committee drive. I’ll post links to them all on the wiki once I figure out how to.

I want to thank Bob Karnaugh for his thoughtful presentation on how to decipher what the numbers with metal alloys mean. this was the first of our lecture series which I hope will be part of every committee meeting covering machining topics. I think I can say for everyone that the information was well received. Lecture notes can be found at: CommitteeDrive->machineshop->Training->AlloyNumberingSystem

got topics you want to see? Suggest them to the committee and SHOW UP for the meetings. cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks for generating these and making them easily publicly available, Nick!

1 Like

For what my opinion is worth, there’s essentially zero point in posting links to the on-site storage in the wiki. Just put a blurb that states minutes are stored to the committee drive so folks know where to find them.
(in fact, I can see you’ve already posted past minutes on the wiki, and have a blurb there already–i’d just delete the links, and keep the blurb)

EDIT: LOVE the lecture series idea. Wish I were a better participant in Machine Shop.

the only good reason is that if someone changes/deletes it from the wiki there is a record of who did it. Not so on the committee drive (stuff has gotten moved/lost before).

That would argue to put the minutes on the wiki instead of just a link. More work, I know.

Doesn’t have to be THAT much more work.
Do the doc as is currently being done.
Upload the file to the wiki
link to the preferred location
I just really really REALLY dislike broken/unworking links on wikis.
Think Nick Silva rant when he spots an obviously untrained unsub barefoot with unrestrained hair leaning over the lathe.

you are empowered to FIX those links.

1 Like

There is no fix, as I understand it.
I have the impression the current chair of the Machine Shop prefer the minutes NOT be in wiki, but on the committee space instead. As such, I cannot upload the docs to the wiki in good conscience.

If I am mistaken, I’ll repair ASAP. Once the Machine Shop chair confirms no objections. (Have you seen him around?)

And what gives you that impression? as stated I will do that as soon as I figure out how to do it.

and what the hell do you mean by that? I’m there 4 days a week.

I meant that as a joke, y’know, you being HIM, and HE being you, and all…

Could have sworn I’d heard that straight from your mouth.
If I am mistaken, I can certainly help get that done.

This might help.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/How_to_Upload_Files_to_Dallas_Makerspace_Wiki

We wish you were too!:wink: And anyone else interested in machining.

Nick has changed the format to make it more relevant and so members get a small lesson on a topic. relevant to machining. Members attending can stay if of interest and it gets more members involved sharing their knowledge.

We like short meetings that are to the point. Goal is 60 minutes< we rarely exceed that, it was 45 minutes for meeting and about 20 minutes for the optional class Bob taught.

Of course the palaver after the meeting can go a bit.

1 Like

Curse you, making me look up words.

And you’uns are doing a GREAT job. Love that!
Just wish I could be there to SHOW my support more often.

1 Like

I had to look it when I read it in King’s “The Dark Tower”. Kind of a cool word, sort of up-scale term for BS session!

1 Like

that is what I needed. thank you.

1 Like

Me too, though I still envision it as a session where all participants are carrying six shooters and hence polite…

3 Likes

Tada

FYI converted to PDF, because it is friendlier to upload. For some reason, it was choking on .doc files (lots of reasons why swirling in my head, but this just seemed easier).

1 Like

yes feel free to do so. it would be a big help. thanks.

1 Like

Your assistance is just as valuable as attending the meeting as you are supporting machine Shop. Maybe we can get a life-size cut “proxy” to show you attending!

Thanks for your efforts.

1 Like