November 4th - The Maker-Crawl: Denton

I just put this up on the calendar so it should hit in a bit.
The Maker-Crawl: Denton

So let’s get out and about and go visit Denton’s maker-ish opportunities. At the end of the evening we are having a maker based social call to Eastside

After much consideration I decided to forgo the rental of a truck/driving service for this first attempt at maker-crawl. We will revisit this idea after this trip. Please organize your own rides.

Please make sure to sign up for this simple one way texting service so we can quickly get word out as to where we are at - text @dentontrip to 81010. I won’t abuse this privilege I assure you just probably texting out when we go into a place.

1-2p The Forge (Denton North Branch Library – 3020 N. Locust St. Denton)
This is a makerspace located in a Denton Library. We are meeting with Trey Ford a Technology Librarian.

2:30-3p Stoke (608 East Hickory Street, Suite 128)
This is a coworking space. It’s important that we are here on time as it’s not open to the public on Saturdays and we are being let in by Kerry Montz who’s on the current management team.

3:20-4:15p The Factory (UNT Campus Willis Library 1506 W. Highland Street)
This is the makerspace at UNT located in a library. Expect horrid parking. Janice Jacore will be showing us around. The space isn’t huge so we might need to filter in groups.

4:30-5p Scrap (420 S. Bell Ave)
This is a creative reuse center. Basically a thrift store with art supplies. Kari or Alex will be showing us around and talking about the philosophy of creative reuse. Bring some money if you intend on getting a thing or two. They have been very supportive of DMS in the past and I would love to return the favor.

5-7p Eastside (117 E. Oak Street)
This is a bar with several food trucks. I’m working hard to network with the maker community up in Denton for a casual meetup of maker type people. I’m working to invite the following groups to come meet up Techmill Denton, Denton Maker Collective, Denton Startup, Open Denton, Denton We Do It.

8 Likes

I released it, now on calendar.

2 Likes

Nice to see that Nicole, once again gets ‘special treatment’…

Seriously, just kidding, nice to see a board member doing something to make the Calendar system more responsive when it needs to be.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/4051

Also, this calendar item does not use any DMS resources*, so no unfair advantage.

• Okay, there is probably some extra wear and tear on our infrastructure transporting and processing those electrons 48 hours early … I’d like to see a cost estimate, to avoid any appear of personal favoritism (which would be a lie, she is a favorite, one of many. How many members can request $50 a month from the BoD and gets bumped 300%) so I can reimburse the space. Please bring a very small fine file so I can scrape the appropriate amount of metal off a penny to pay for it. One stroke would probably be an over-payment.
1 Like

Again just kidding. Given the tenor of the last few days, the forum can use some laughing at itself.

I know you were. But some may not know or have met DMS’s own force-of-nature.

2 Likes

If they haven’t they need to seek her out and taste her baked goods. They are intoxicating!

If you plan on coming to the East Side social meetup please let me know. I’ve created a Facebook event - but if you’re not a FB person you can just respond to this.

https://www.facebook.com/events/516962695307850/?active_tab=about#

The big secret…https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Ghirardelli-Triple-Chocolate-Premium-Brownie-Mix%2C-7.5-lbs.product.11099384.html

1 Like

Pushing this up because things are changing just a tad in a great way!

@jeffbob (the guy with the great hair and smile covered in sawdust)has invited us over to his woodshop which is close to Denton. If you’ve ever wanted to bask upon his wood pile now is your time.
I’ll add that to the calendar. It’s going to be a long day of running around in Denton. Feel free to jump in when you can - but I will tell you please make sure to sign up for the remind account - I’m going to use that to text out when we actually go in to different places because the times might shift as we go about our day. I won’t abuse the remind function if you sign up - its strictly informational and quick.

Also, if you plan on going to just the bar meetup I’ve made an event for that as well. No real need to except for it to get attention on the calendar.

I really hope this is sucessful because I will gauge the next maker crawl on heels of this event. It’s not a bunch of work except for getting the word out. Places are excited to host us and show us around. I hope everyone realizes this isn’t about comparing space - this is about communally sharing the maker spirit.

just to recap:
A public library
A university library
A communal workspace
A creative reuse center
Jeff workshop
Bar/Eats/Others
whew

1 Like

Ah, those all sound like wonderful places to bump into some protesters

I’ve printed up a direction sheet for people going to the MakerCrawl just to help if you need it.

I’ve setup a remind account to let people know when we’ve entered the different spaces.

It’s going to be a long day but I believe a rewarding maker energy filled day.

Feel free to join us when you can or just for a beer or food moment at Eastside. I’ve invited people from all over Denton - everyone from maker groups, to the people at the spaces we are visiting to the makers who support DIME and every other avenue I can think of. Hopefully everyone will enjoy.

MakerCrawl- Denton.pdf (385.8 KB)