Join us on Wednesday, January 9th at 6:30pm in the Purple Classroom to reactivate the Competitive Robotics Committee.
The purpose of the Competitive Robotics Committee is to:
- Organize robotics competitions at the Makerspace
- Educate the membership about robotics
- Compete in regional, national, and international robotics competitions.
Organize robotics competitions at the Makerspace
Texas Robot Combat, formerly DARC (Dallas Area Robot Combat) is looking for a new home. I have been a member of TRC for the past year along with other DMS members such as @frank_lima and @themitch22. TRC owns an 8’x8’x8’ arena and hosts quarterly competitions for combat robots up to 3 pounds. The contest in September attracted more than 40 bots and over 100 spectators. We intend to propose to host these events in the Makerspace expansion at the January board meeting.
Educate the membership about robotics
We pledge to host monthly workshop meetings where we will assist those attempting to build their own combat robots. In addition, we pledge to teach monthly classes. We taught “Building Your First Combat Robot” in July and attracted a dozen students. We have plans to branch out into classes such as robot design, CAD, materials selection, prototyping, and project management.
Compete in regional, national, and international robotics competitions.
Mitch and other members of TRC competed at SparkFun AVC in Colorado last September, and we have circled this competition as a goal for our members for Fall 2019.
- Motion to reactivate signed by at least 5 DMS members
- Prepare for January Board Meeting where we will present our intentions and proposals
- Assessment of funds ($1000 from BattleBots effort?) and potential uses
- Discussion of hosting Texas Robot Combat events for 2019
- Planning of monthly workshops and classes
- Vote on chairperson