Not best practice

If you aren’t aware, the pad the sand paper sticks to costs more than $40. It abrades away when in direct contact with wood. Please be aware of the condition of the sand paper you are using. Please verify it is not torn up. Saving a dollar on piece of sand paper could cost wood shop a $40 pad.
Not nice.

15 Likes

Come on! Sand paper is only a $1 a sheet.

3 Likes

Maybe the policy should require people to remove all sandpaper after using the sander.

Then people wouldn’t take a chance that the existing sandpaper would be adequate for their task.

1 Like

That’s just obnoxious.

Can we move to an Autozone-style loan-a-tool? $150 “rental fee” for the sander, refunded in full if returned in good nick…I know, I know, volunteer time, etc. whatnot. sigh

3 Likes

Is there a way to put that on a fob swipe system like many of the large tools in there? We could at least keep track of who uses it and maybe have direct talks with them.

1 Like

The Velcro pads are $40 bucks each… maybe the woodshop basic class needs to be expanded? 2 nights of training?

Not sure this is a training issue - I go over [very specifically] what the sandpaper is not supposed to look like and how quickly the pads get damaged [and how we are replacing more than we ever should]. While the sandpaper is a consumable, the pads aren’t supposed to be.

I think this is either people who really don’t care or are clueless that the paper is wearing out. The only thing that will rectify this behavior is “friendly” reminders from other members.

As a reminder to our members - while these tools are yours [just like they’re mine], please treat them like you’re borrowing them from my dad… whoever used the sanders like this wouldn’t be allowed to borrow anything from him again… just don’t be that person.

As a final request, if you are sanding and your paper looks even the slightest bit worn - throw it away [in a trash can]. Yes, it is a waste, but it will help prevent someone from using “free” paper at a $40 cost to the shop.

6 Likes

I just don’t understand how it gets destroyed like that in the first place…It baffles me every time. That’s why I just bring my own sander and paper for the most part. It gets really annoying.

1 Like

Perhaps we need to have people provide their own pads. We provide nothing but the motor. People will pay attention to the condition of their sandpaper when it’s their pad on the line. Quality tools and the average human aren’t a good mix.

3 Likes

I bring in both my own paper/mesh discs and saver pads for use on the sanders.

1 Like

Uh! Can you please show us the paper and mess you are using? We stopped using the 3M mess because it destroys the Festool hook pads rapidly…also the pad spacer isn’t much better in the hooks it doesn’t release like the Festool paper…

I’m fully aware of the issues with the use of the mesh discs on the Festool Sanders, I’m one of the first people to point out the problem.

Mirka brand Abranet and pads, DuraGold sanding discs.

1 Like

here in Calgary we have the same problem., even though sandpaper is specified as a user consumable. Folks seem to save the old worn out discs, much the same as they won’t throw out worn out screwdriver bits or trashed drill bits

Of interest to me and perhaps other was after the recent upgrading of our D/C bag for the cnc router…I measured the particulate count coming out of a newly installed 1 micron bag on the CNC dust collector…about 5ish micrograms/cu. meter, but a ROS in operation nearby showed levels of 10X that amount a foot away!.

eric

1 Like

Since we use Festool sanders connected to Festool extractors with HEPA filtration, our hand sanders are most likely among the cleanest tools we deploy.

https://www.festoolusa.com/products/dust-extraction/mobile-dust-extractors/577084—ct-36-e-hepa-us#Overview

Sanders
https://www.festoolusa.com/products/sanding/random-orbital-sander/576339—ets-ec1505-eq-plus-us

Especially when used with no paper attached to the pad!!

4 Likes

Okay Dokay. The you said you are using mesh and the spacer pad on sanders??? Or did I miss understand you?

Both mesh or paper discs depending on what I’m doing, but always with a pad.

I’ve had good luck with both Abranet and Diablo mesh discs but the interface pads from Abranet don’t stick to the Festool pads very well. The Diablo interface pads seem better.

I don’t really care because I bought my own Festool Rotex precisely because of this. I want a sander that works every time I need it.

2 Likes

And it continues…

5:30 pm