Noob needs help with turning wood proto to metal

Hi I am new to the Makerspace and new to making in general. I made a wood prototype of my idea for a rowing machine attachment. I need some help figuring out which parts would need to be aluminum vs steel and how to get started with machining components. Could I meet someone at the Makerspace for some help?

I have it designed in Fusion 360.
Thanks,
Christian

any idea what kind of load it will be under? Fresh or salt water environment? Tolerance requirements?

EDIT: additionally, if you can share the cloud link for the Fusion file here people can often take a look, though I understand not everyone wants to share designs

1 Like

It will be under about 100 pounds on each plate there, and there are gears and racks inside. I might get sweat on it. I’d rather not share the design.

It does not seem like my Forward Rowing Mechanism long time ago :grinning: Having said that, let me add a few thoughts.
Engineers get things designed and stress analyzed. Hobbyists get very part made oversized to ensure they don’t break. If you want to sell what you build, it is better to be designed, not only mechanically but also ergonomically.

1 Like

I hate machining steel because of the splinters (need pointed tweezers and a magnifying glass to get them out) .
I think using square aluminum tube might be a good way to make the pieces with the angle cut.
You could mark it out like you did the wood and cut it with a band saw. then file it down to the line. How wide are the pieces? If you are lucky a standard size might be available .
Is this just a housing or cover .I don’t see any holes in the sides for shafts .
My car is making a noise in the front end so I’m only doing short trips and not willing to drive in right now.

Make another picture with a tape measure next to it.
If you tried to use flat pieces you could bend them, if they aren’t too thick for our metal break. That would be the preferred method for mass manufacturing.

1 Like

What’s your plan for making the gears? They’re more challenging to machine than the outer parts you’ve shown.

1 Like

Hey everyone. I realized I should have sent this in the metal shop. I think I am going to have to plasma cut most of the pieces from a sheet of steel I bought. I will probably have to buy the gears or have them made for this first steel proto.

1 Like

Hey Christian! It looks like you had a good talk with @TBJK and @malcolmputer the other night. Thanks for showing us your wood prototype. After seeing it, it does kinda look like plasma cut is a good solution for you.

1 Like