Nogal aka Peruvian Walnut lumber

I have just come across approx 300 bdft of 4/4 Nogal. If you haven’t worked with this species, it is a very uniform, very dark brown … almost black. Comes from Peru and is almost never available in anything but 4/4 due to being slow to dry. The material is new, old stock that the supplier no longer wants to carry. I use for bowties in live edge slabs, lettering on signs, and anywhere I want to add a dark feature to a project. Typical pricing runs $11-12/bdft. I haven’t gotten a final price, but expect it to be a 30-40% discount.

My banker (aka “she who must be obeyed”) isn’t too wild about my putting 300 bdft into slow moving inventory. So, in order to pull this off, I need fellow woodworkers who could join in the buy.

Anyone? Let me know if interested and I’ll relay details as they settle.

3 Likes

What is the minimum board feet I’d need to go in on?

No fixed number yet. Depends on how many are in the group.

Sign me up for 10-20 bdf depending upon price. McKinney hardwood has only 4/4 for $11bdf anytime you want it. At 30-40% discount however this is a deal.

1 Like

I’ll go in for ~$100 worth (whatever that comes out to, once discounted). It’s a good fit for something small I have in mind. Thanks for posting!

1 Like

Do you know how wide a board and how long a board the default boards are? In the past I’ve found them to be pretty limited in size.

No not yet. Will put eyes on next week.

2 Likes

Depending on what you find out next week, I may add to my tiny inventory of material as well.

2 Likes

Interested in $100ish amount as well, more details appreciated…

1 Like

I’m also probably up for plank or two, please let me know when you know more.

1 Like

Put me down for 20bf.

1 Like

Capt and I would like a bit. Say 2 bd feet? Flexible depending on everyone else. 1 to 4 bd ft?

1 Like

I’ll take 20 board feet maybe more.

Thanks

1 Like

I’m interested, but would like to know more about it once you have seen it.

1 Like

I would be interested in learning more about it once you have more information.

1 Like

In for $100+ rounded up to the nearest full stick

1 Like

I would like to take some also $50 to $75. Maybe tie mine with @dryad2b to make a full stick?

1 Like

I’d go in for smallish portion as well!

1 Like

Call my limit $100 or so.

1 Like

I am pretty sure this is going to happen. Also expect the price to be less than $7/bdft.

When folks like Ian have done group buys, the logistics were more straightforward because everyone was a current member. I am an ex-member so access and even trips to DMS are not the same.

Any one or more of the interested parties want to take charge of being the trail boss for getting this lumber herd from my shop to DMS?

1 Like