No yeast? For Real?

Continuing the discussion from Clever Advertising:

Honestly, I look for yeast once in a blue moon (about 1-2x annually, actually, and only in the last 3 years or so), so I didn’t really go looking for it with the latest shelf-emptying turn of events…
Is there really none?

I ask, partially, because I’ve baked more in the last 2 weeks than ever before because a neighbor “accidentally” got 3x1lb packages of the stuff, and offered me one. I jumped at the chance, because I freakin’ HATE paying so much for little beasties that live right there in my air… (I know they’re domesticated and “better” from the package, but…)
I’ve wanted to do a sourdough for ages, but I just don’t really NEED to bake bread that often, so I can’t see trying to keep one going for those 3x a year I usually make something…
Anyway, if you really WANT to bake but don’t have yeast, check out Mike’s post on the “quarentinystarter” (starting a sourdough on 10g of flour).

1 Like

There is kinda a shortage on flour too.

1 Like

Signature Baking is delivering flour and yeast in the area, just FYI.

4 Likes

Thank you for this!

I’ve had zero problems getting flour, eother, but I can see where it might be sold out later in the day…

Our local kroger has AP flour, but no other kinds and no yeast.

1 Like

FWIW, AP flour is all I use.

2 Likes

hmm, last few time Ive been to the stores, there was not any. People on Nextdoor have been asking other neighbors for flour.

1 Like

I had hard time getting it. It took several grocery deliveries before I finally got some. Even King Arthur and bob red mill are sold out online unless you want some weird crap like tapioca flour.

1 Like

Tapioca flour makes the insanely delicious pao de quiejo. Those chewy morsels you get at Brazilian steakhouses. You’ll need eggs, milk and cheese though.

Well worth learning to make.

Preppers are feeling less stupid these days. The disaster I’ve been planning for - for 20 years - is here. I probably have 100 pounds of flour in #10 cans I canned a few years ago. Untold quantities of legumes, pasta and potatoes. What I’m short on is canned tomato products. I have enough for a couple of months but that’s it.

3 Likes

Looks yummy ordered the ingredients should be making it on Wednesday.

3 Likes

Great!!

All two thousand of us will make a beeline for your house when doomsday hits.

:smile:

2 Likes

One of my goals every summer is to can enough fresh garden tomatoes to get me through most of the rest of the year. I never even come close. Someone mentioned last year that I might try going 50/50 on home grown/store bought tomatoes so that I still get the home grown flavor, but I can make twice as much. I’m going to do one test batch and see how that goes before I commit my whole crop to that, though.

4 Likes

My newly moved in neighbors in AL had a similar goal their first year. They planted over 50 tomato plants and then were given a bunch more by friends.

By the end of the season, they were so overwhelmed by the crop they just left them rotting on the vine - they just couldn’t keep up.

1 Like

I hope to make sauce out of most of mine. We use a lot of tomato sauce throughout the year.

2 Likes

We use a ton of stewed whole tomatoes for chilis, goulash, etc.

1 Like

FYI, sams has 25# bags of flour for less than $7. Not sure where they are on yeast though since we are still working on the 1 lb brick we got last year.

1 Like

I have one in my freezer that I swear is about 5 years old now. I think I may have moved it from Oklahoma to Texas.

2 Likes