No-spread cookie recipe?

I bought one of those fancy-schmanzy embossed rolling pins but I need a “no-spread” cookie recipe so the design doesn’t just blur into oblivion while baking. I’m familiar with the basic premises (cold butter, no baking powder, corn starch substitution), but can anyone recommend a specific no-spread cookie recipe?

One of us isn’t particularly keen on shortbread cookies, if that helps.

I think most peanut butter cookie doughs would take a design well. And if not, you’re left with peanut butter cookies. The shame!

3 Likes

Huh. I would have thought that a minimal butter quantity would be a key in no-spread. Alas, I have no solid data to offer. The cookies I thought of immediately, Shrewsbury cakes, are pretty much similar to a shortbread.

You might be interested in this Alton Brown episode. It’s focused on chocolate chip cookies, but he experiments with the recipe for cause/effect to produce chewy vs thin vs crispy, some of the science behind it.

It might be fodder for some experimentation on other cookies if you want to adapt or adjust a recipe, the science behind it.

Plus, ya know, you have to do Something with the rejects…

Episode 33 is “Three Chips for Sister Marsha” in case the linky goes stupid.

2 Likes

I’ve never made them, but I stumbled across Rick’s butter cookie recipe on Bon Apetit which he claims “don’t shrink…well, maybe just a millimeter…”.

Vid of the creator making and tie-dying them:

2 Likes