No aerosol powered spray paint is to be used at dallas makerspace, inside or out

Just spay paint, then?

2 Likes

Hmmm. I wonder about the
MG Chemicals Super Shield Nickel Conductive Coating, 12 oz Aerosol Spray I use in my Copper plating class.

1 Like

when I heard it, it was an emphatic No Aerosols. Air powered is ok.

I apologize, I said I was done, but air powered is no different than aerosol. You cannot justify one and exempt the other. Both potentially allow an uncontrolled spray to travel to an unintended destination. Not sure who is arbitrarily making this rule but it is not consistent. ( for example powder coat… I’m sure you would be annoyed if your car suddenly had an orange tinge… and driving it for 20 minutes might loosen all that fine powder… or even a car wash, but eventually, some of it will enter your air vents and end up inside your car. Trust me, I know things. )( Hmmm I guess air powered spray painting is ok… Don;t park your car by the back door…)

Well there is the detail that air powered methods don’t involve flammable gasses nor storing those under pressure in a metal can.

1 Like

Cans of spray paint that have flammable propellant are what are banned by the City of Carrollton. This is not a rule created by DMS or the current DMS Board.

Adhesives or WD40 or brake cleaner are OK. It is an interesting law in terms of its vertical application.

Liquid paint or air brushes or compressed air paint sprayers are all still legal.

If you are the owner of any of the prohibited cans of spray paint please remove them from DMS.

That would exclude leaving them on the donation shelf as a way of “disposing” of them.

Throwing them in the dumpster is not a preferred disposal method either.

City of Dallas has disposal sites. I am not sure about other cities or towns.

4 Likes

One thing I was confused about, does this mean the city has declared this ban city wide? Like… People can’t spray paint in their yards? High school kids can’t use it for signs? Anything? It seems so odd to me

1 Like

This is not accurate. Carrolton police are not the enforcers of this code. Code enforcement is.

6 Likes

Thanks. I was asking if it was spray paint specifically because I think the @Team_Laser uses Cermark frequently and it is rattle can aerosol something…? I kinda hope there is some leeway with this rule…not sure how City of ? is going to know if we are using Cermark inside?

Could someone point to the ordinance involved with this action? My googlefu must be failing me. I don’t doubt it’s out there, I just can’t find it.

3 Likes

So Home Depot and Lowe’s can’t sell spray paint?

Not all environmental and safety regulations extend to consumers. Businesses and industry (and apparently non-profit organizations) are handled differently than consumers.

2 Likes

@Team_ laser wishes to not have or cause issues with city officals or cause members a $2000 fine so for now cermark is included in the ban of aerosol paints.

I understand there is a difference between joe citizen spray painting their camaro in the yard and an organization painting things. That doesn’t mean the rules aren’t written down somewhere. They may not be online, they may behind a paywall, etc, however I can assure you, if there is a fine associated, it’s written down.

Again, I’m not questioning the validity, just where one might find the written ordinance regarding this topic.

1 Like

Please post the a copy of the city code - or the link where you read this.

I was on the Carrollton city website after seeing the notices on the doors at the Space the other day and could find no such code.

2 Likes

I concur, I’d like to see the text myself to better understand the situation.

Is Axe body spray banned as well? This reminds me of the scenario where the fire marshall flipped his lid because we had a BOOK on beer brewing.

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If you don’t care then why bother us with your pointless rant???

3 Likes

Cermark is still available in a paste/brush on form.

2 Likes