Next scheduled HAAS vf2 safety training?

Are there any plans for a safty training class on the HAAS vf2 machine?

1 Like

The HAAS training is a three-part class that’s more extensive than just safety. Part one is how to CAM the required part using Fusion 360 (in this case, a domino). Part two is operating the controller (and also the simulator). Parts one and two are sometimes offered consecutively. Part three is a proficiency check-out at the machine making the domino, which gives you limited permission to use the machine. It requires some level of supervision (I don’t know exactly what) until you are approved for full unsupervised use.

@nicksilva is our primary (only?) HAAS instructor. He can weigh in on this, including his potential schedule.

2 Likes

what she said.
I’m taking a break in September and am only doing the proficiency checkout students that had taken the class. The next class will be offered in October.

3 Likes

Understood. Thank you both.

1 Like

Do you already have machining knowledge/expertise? (You may already be a toolmaker-caliber machinist, and if so, I apologize for giving you all this info). If you don’t already have machining knowledge, it will help you to spend some time trying to learn some machining before taking the HAAS class. The MIT videos are a great place to start. They are linked from the External References section of the Machine Shop committee wiki page.

1 Like

Thank you Chris, those are good suggestions. I often talk about how important it is to know a lot of the machining concepts that go into working metal before looking at the automation that HAAS provides. I’m giving some consideration to offering a free multi-class series covering 6-10 different machining subjects to give our hobbyists more understanding and confidence in using the machine shop effectively. I’m not pulling the trigger on that just yet, I have to see what it will take and then create the materials. Hopefully by the time we reach the new promised land in 102 this will be ready.

7 Likes

I would sign up for that! My number one topic would be various ways to hold things … :slight_smile:

I would also be very interested as someone who’s watched a lot of videos, but never gotten hands on, finding a place to start can be a little intimidating.

1 Like

I have no prior experience with machining. But even if an expert I wouldn’t
be offended as I appreciate the help and guidance. I’ve done a bunch of 3D
printing and have been working with Fusion for about a year, now getting
the hang of CAM by watching every one of these videos I possibly can. The
MIT ones you mention are great and now linked to my favorites list. Taking
the free trial of Coursera for their machining course. Going through the
Autodesk University CAM course. And thinking about taking a machining
course at Tarrant County Community College. I’m new but fully immersed and
dedicated to learn. I look forward to meeting you in person. And I cannot
thank you enough for the guidance!

1 Like