Next round of MIG 101 Classes

Hey everyone if you’re needing to be signed off on the MIG welders I have posted 3 new classes.

All on a Sunday from 3:30 pm - 6 pm.

At the time of posting, each class has 6 spots in it.

June 4th

June 18th

See you there!

3 Likes

The MIG 101 class this Sunday has been cancelled, I didn’t see anyone signed up and no tickets had been sold so I don’t think there’s any loss there. Just wanted to let anyone who wanted to know, know.

2 Likes

@Team_Metal_Shop Any more MIG 101 classes planned over the next few months? Didn’t see anything on the calendar. My brother in law was wanting to join Makerspace and do the virtual Metal Shop Safety for Hot Processes class then take the in person MIG class. Thanks!

This should probably get you some responses from the folks who know More Than I Do. Most of the teachers wait for some sign of interest, especially if they held a class and nobody signed up.

1 Like

I can do a one on one, and get him checked off on the MIG, if that interests him. Preferably tue thur fri after 5, or some time sat.

2 Likes

I am interested in taking the MIG Welding class. Let me know when available.

My daughter and I are both interested in taking a MIG class.

Remember that the first thing you have to do is take the Hot Process Safety Class, which is at Dallas Makerspace: Log in to the site . You have to sign in to see any of the on-line classes. s/b your username and your account password.

2 Likes

Sorry @sramm0612 wasn’t sure you were talking to me.

I’ll see if I can put a MIG class on the calendar for this Saturday Sunday. If @davrynel wants to host instead, I’ll remove mine.

Edit: Class should appear in 72 hours at the latest.

Go for it!

1 Like

I just finished the hot process class but I’m still not being allowed to register for the class this Sunday. Would someone be able to update my status so I can register please? @dryad2b

Log out of the Calendar, and log back in again. See if that helps.

2 Likes

I just finished the Hot Process class. My daughter is 15 and she is wanting to learn to weld. I have a MIG welder, but I would not claim to be a good welder, and taking a class would be good for both of us. Is she old enough to take the MIG class?

It looks like now all the spots are filled up. Any chance there’s room for 1 more?

@Team_Metal_Shop I don’t fully know the rules for age, maybe someone on the team does? I did make the class members only, so I think that means 16+, but the rules also say if I make the class open to public, then it seems 15 and under will require parent or legal guardian present at all times.

@danthebetterman I can make a new class on the following Saturday the 2nd at 1pm,

standing rules state 18+ may use unsupervised
16+ with full-time supervision by parent/guardian who is trained on the tool
<16 Special permission from the chair + full-time supervision by parent/guardian who is trained on the tool

So per my reading, @rlisbona would need to give special approval for a 15 year old to attend the class with the parent/guardian, PLUS, though it’s not in the rules, I’d think the instructor would get a fair amount of sway on teaching a parent and their charge. All this assumes we’re willing to loosely read the rule “…and requires full-time supervision by a parent who has been trained on that tool” to include said training for both minor and guardian.
For what it’s worth, having not interviewed any of the involved, I would be excited to teach a 15 year old and her parent how to MIG and hope they both enjoy the heck out of it!

4 Likes

@nugen I appreciate that! I will actually be out of town that weekend though. Any chance you could do the following weekend?

BTW, I’m also someone who has MIG welded before (I own my own machine) but am hoping to learn from someone who knows more than I do because I’m self taught. Not sure if this influences the topics but wanted to mention it since it looks like there are others like me on this thread who might be interested.

I’m fine with under 16 with a parent and both taking a class, or an expierienced parent teaching their own offspring. Maybe under 16 if a parent was in the welding area but not in the class.

I’m pretty sure I was playing with fire by 10-12.

3 Likes

@danthebetterman If you have some experience, then I probably won’t be a good teacher. I mostly TIG, so I am not sure I can identify problematic MIG welds. I am able to bring fundamentals from TIG over, but otherwise I would refer you to others that have more experience.

There is a person named atlas, if you want to get his tag, to ask for help. He does AL MIG professionally, and has gone through school for this field.

I’ll create the class to the Saturday after that (the 9th?), just in case there are others that need to get MIG checkouts, or you still want to take it.

@jliszewski The chair is cool, and I am cool with letting your daughter train besides you. I messaged you about doing a session with just the three of us, since the class is already full. That way, you can train your daughter directly, since you would know how to communicate better.

3 Likes

Acknowledged, thanks.

1 Like