Next CNC Class at DMS

I need to be trained on the CNC machine. I own a small machine but I am in need of using the larger one here ASAP. Can someone reach out to me and let me know when the next class might be. Thank you.

Blockquote

Which cnc machine are you interested in? Wood? Metal?

1 Like

Check out the “Tram it Sam” thread to learn more about the Multicam and maintenance required for a shared CNC router.

1 Like

The large wood CNC.

I’ve read the thread suggested and it looks like they are working on repairing it. I would still like to get certified as much as possible so that I can start building out the files I need. Not sure what software you guys use but am excited to meet the team that works with the CNC.

Ok so you can use any design software you want, you will be exporting as .dxf files. From there you will need to connect to the Jump server to use our local copy of Vcarve pro. It isn’t too complicated but there are some important things that will be gone over in your certification class.

3 Likes

Do you know when the class will be?

No. I’d suggest getting very familiar with VCarve. There are a number of good videos produced by Vectric, the publisher of VCarve.

You should get yourself familiar with the different types of toolpaths and the parameters associated with each. You should also have a working knowledge of what feeds and speeds are and how to determine them for the bit(s) you intend to use.

These ^ will get you on the path to knowing how to do CNC routing generally.

1 Like

How do I get access to V Carve? I have a CNC machine so I’m already very familiar with speeds and feeds that I need for my machine. But I would like to become more familiar with the curve obviously.

https://www.vectric.com/free-trial

If you are a DMS member you can access the Jump Server to use our Makerspace Edition of VCarve 8.5 (9 or 10 whenever we update it) instead of the trial.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/JumpServerLogin

If you are familiar with vcarve, we usually have a simple test job that includes: pocket, profile, and vcarve tool paths, tabs and ramp in features. It takes about an hour usually to learn the keypad and operation. There’s a operator instructions laminated sheets in the drawers near the machine.

@IanLee should have some online class for it soon. I have done one-on-one’s to sign people out on it once they create their Vcarve test file.

3 Likes

FYI 11 just dropped!

Yay! Now our home versions will be extra incompatible with the one on the jump server!

4 Likes

Thank you. I’ll start working on the file.