News on the Street -- aka Monetary Lane -- for Sat 2021/10/30

As we pulled in today, we noticed a sign saying that they’re going to be doing big work tomorrow – Saturday 10/30. They should be working from 4 am to 4 pm, and it says “Expect delays”. Since you’re already into the construction zone by the time you get to the first possible entrance, I’d recommend going on down to the next street – Senlac, and come in the back way. I figure – if they’re blocking the top, they shouldn’t be blocking Senlac. And if they are, you can park across the street and you’re closer to DMS than at the top end.

4 Likes

They’ve moved past the entrance, so you should be able to take the first drive. Use your signals so they know what you’re up to :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s a signal?

4 Likes

Found the bmw owner? :wink:

5 Likes

Hahaha I wish. 2008 Toyota.

1 Like

This also means that a lot of traffic could be cutting through our front parking lot in order to bypass the construction.

They are currently directing traffic through our lot, so please use caution.

1 Like

I wish we had temporary HUGE speed bumps that could be put on the parking lot. Last time I was at DMS 2 cars came flying through.

Dam my bat signal is out right now

1 Like

I wonder if the landlord would approve the installation of one of the many speed bumps here:

Not sure if permanent installation would be restricted city code and permitting requirements.

Looked like a few temporary options were available, but not sure how reliably they’ll stay in-place.

And just think…they have to do the other half… :scream:

The 2nd half shouldn’t be quite as bad. One issue this has had was the breaks for the storm drains. At least we’ll be driving on lovely brand new concrete…

Right? I wonder when they’ll get around to the other half.

I will say that it made for an awfully… festive… open tour. Surprisingly, we did get a good group of folks, even so, braving the spectacle. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, they’ve got a ways to go yet. Guessing – first they’ll finish up the cut-outs that they didn’t do this time because they’re the driveways. Although, they might finish up the street-side edges before completing the driveway bits. My guess is a couple of months for that? Then they’ll tear up the other side. With any luck, there won’t be a big freeze event this year, or they will have repaired enough of the water system last year so that our little project won’t sit for months while they fix something else.

2 Likes

Oh that makes sense. Good to know!

And yeah… Hopefully we won’t have another repeat of last year’s freeze. :upside_down_face:

Please, no speed bumps.

• They are hell on suspension components
  • It varies by vehicle, but many can sail comfortably over them at some unsafe high speed
  • They are not wheelchair friendly
  • They interfere with carts, pallet jacks, etc.
5 Likes

All good points!

1 Like

I recently found this:

1 Like

I noticed he has the ABS braking off on the front tires - the tires lock up and skid.

He wanted to test the case of the driver slamming on the brakes to not hit the bump at high speed. Diving the nose of the car just before going over the bump is definitely not a good idea.