New Woodshop Interlock System

As you all know, in order to use any of the large powertools in the woodshop such as the table saws, jointer, planer, miter saw, band saws, table router, sanders, and drill press, you must first complete our Woodshop 101 course (Woodshop Basics).

No matter what your previous woodworking experience is, this class is REQUIRED for all members at DMS. Over the years instructors have done a great job volunteering their time to teach classes and allow people to join their classes as standbys to get as many people certified as possible.

It has always been a challenge to enforce certification verification. As of now we are beginning to install interlocks similar to what is used on our CNC router to verify certification. Badge in and you will be allowed to power the tool on. These interlocks will go on all machines that require Woodshop 101 (Woodshop Basics) or any other associated training. This will ensure that only members with the appropriate training are using the equipment.

When you took Woodshop 101 or Basics your name was taken from the sign in sheet and added to a database. That database is what populates our new interlock system. The first interlock has been installed on the Delta table saw. Please come by and try your badge on the saw to verify that you have been properly added, we would like to test it on this tool before implementing on the rest of the shop. If you have any issues, please contact @Team_Woodshop and we will do our best to verify and add you manually.

Thanks!
Andrew

16 Likes

This is a good step. I added the RFID interlocks to the header of the tools list. Will the same thing be done with the lathes, since they require Wood Lathes 101?

Thanks Chris. We plan to start “beta testing” on the tools with fast sharp blades that get used the most by uncertified members such as the saws, jointer, and planer. I think they will get put on the two large lathes first, but may be a challenge for the smaller ones since they get moved around in our current space.

2 Likes

Hey Team Woodshop!

I took the woodshop 101 a little under a year ago (in may 2017) but it was not credited to my username, leaving me locked out of the machines! I need the machines.

How can I get added and prove I took the class? It was with Chris I believe his name is and have been in the space a bunch since then, having met Andrew and helped on a big cleanout day back in December. I’m bald with a beard and I built that big mid-century desk that took up a lot of space forever at the end of last year.

Talk soon?
-Ryan

2 Likes

Someone from @Team_Woodshop may be able to help. Or, @StanSimmons may be able to help.

In the future, this is a better place for such things.

1 Like

And it would be gud if @cghaly could confirm, as well.

2 Likes

Ryan is good to go with Woodshop 101.

3 Likes

Thanks Brian! I’m new on the Talk system and I wasn’t able to DM Team Woodshop directly so i thought this was a good place

2 Likes

Confirmed you are now active on the interlock system

1 Like

is there an automatic time out in the event i forget to sign off?

1 Like

Yes, 10 min after the motor was last used.

2 Likes