New vehicles from Automakers

One thing I remember about going to the State Fair auto show year after year in the early-mid-90s was the engine cutaways. I want to say it was the Cadillac North Star that had the grandest, most prominent cutaway where one could not help but notice that the starter was practically buried in the engine.

When I replaced the starter in my 1996 F150 the biggest challenge was removing the wires from the original starter - otherwise easy under-engine access and 2 bolts then some agony installing the new primary battery harness (because corrosion).

1 Like

Family with Northstar B I T C H about this!
The first time I noticed one like this (a v engine with the starter motor nestled in the center of the v) was on a Lexus SC400. It needed starter contacts (it also had 240k miles, but still would have been far easier if the starter were ā€œproperly mountedā€).

Not quite a remove engine, but close enough. Remove bolts at almost all mounts(including transmissionā€™s), lift/tilt engine/tranny assembly enough to gain access. Repeat as necessary(often when you want more ponies than stock). :expressionless:

What would the car you would come up with if you were t/asked? :slight_smile:

We already have a price on carbon because fuel is not free.

The long term trend is toward better fuel economy though many continue to still love trucks and SUVs.

Some lament that the price of gasoline and diesel is too low to change behavior. I say :tongue:

A gallon of gasoline contains over 100,000 BTUs of energy. Heating a home may take on the order of 50,000 to 100,000 BTU per hour. If electricity was charged the same as gasoline in terms of energy content, there will be much complaining.

1 Like

I was thinking more in terms of hoses for a coolant/refrigerant such as liquid air.

The energy density and relative ease of handling liquid hydrocarbons is greatly underappreciated by most.

The official procedure for replacing the heater blower motor of an '85 Supra begins with ā€œremove the dashboard.ā€

Fortunately, experience has shown that with some creative rotating and wiggling of the motor and its attached squirrel-cage fan, Step 1 was not necessary.

Sure. Chilled distilled water, antifreeze, liquid nitrogen, whatever. Purging it before/after a quick charge would be interesting.

Itā€™s a second-order concern relative to the staggering instantaneous power delivery requirements that impose significant design considerations that otherwise have nothing to do with routine operations. The demographic that canā€™t function without 2 minute fill-ups will continue to purchase ICE vehicles because they have a litany of other complaints about BEVs. Those that opt to travel long distances or otherwise need quick charging ala Teslaā€™s supercharger / J1772 level 2 / ChaDeMo / CCS ($deity help us from endless standards proliferation) seem accepting of the ~30 minutes / ~80% proposition that the vehicles are engineered for, well aware that frequent fast charging at ~2C is hard on the battery pack. Iā€™m not sure that refrigerating the pack at higher charge rates (10 min/6C, 5 min/12C, 2 min/30C) would mitigate this effect given that current fast-charging already uses the carā€™s inbuilt pack thermal management systems.

~36 kWH of thermal energy per gallon for gasoline if I recall. Even with practical Carnot cycle engine designs peaking at ~65% efficiency and real-world personal vehicle engines seeing perhaps half that itā€™s still an amazing amount of energy that one can carry around in a typical gas tank.

Gasoline and diesel are pretty easy to handle as a fluid whose vapors are heavier than air. Vehicles may burn down to the bare metal chassis periodically but itā€™s rare enough that we donā€™t much worry about it; weā€™ve learned through decades of experience how to handle the stuff.

BEVs are unlikely to offer the kind of range thatā€™s possible with todayā€™s ICE vehicles using available technologies. Theyā€™re immensely more efficient with their stored energy than ICE but the lower energy density canā€™t be overcome. But for some of the market the ~200, ~300 miles of range that newer EVs offer with the promise of fast-charging for longer trips (with its understood compromises) is more than adequate for a daily commuter.

Sorry, I should have clarified.

A carbon tax on top of current costs (which does not implement a tax). Current thinking is that carbon costs society ~$40-$50/ton and that translates to $0.25-$0.30/gallon for gasoline.

Nothing wrong with trucks and SUVs. The issue is driving them 10kilomiles/yr (Iā€™m going to just roll with my new unit ā€œkilomilesā€) as daily drivers. But that really speaks to how dependent we are on vehicles due to land use patterns.

IMO itā€™s not the speed of charging, but simply the cost of batteries that is preventing even faster adoption. (Tesla doesnā€™t release exact battery costs, but the price is clearly trending down)

Every scenario is different, but for me (home owner, occasional in state road trip, rare multi state road trip, willing to spend an unreasonable amount of money on a car, own a 75kwh model s) I effectively never wait on charging, increasing the charge rate wouldnā€™t benefit me at all. I have a level 2 charger in my garage and plug my car in every time I am home, each morning my car is fully charged and I never even think about range. Of course this wouldnā€™t apply if you lived in an apartment without your own parking space / charger.

For in state road trips such as travelling to houston, I stop at the Corsicana Collinā€™s Street Bakery, in the time it takes to go in, eat lunch, and feed baby, the car is ready to go and I am again never just sitting around waiting on the car to charge.

For longer range road trips, current supercharging speeds would add about 20% increase in total time, for instance if you drove to florida you would be driving for 20 hours with an additional 4 hours of charging along the way. I take long range trips so rarely that the convenience of never having to stand around at a gas station more than makes up for the time I would spend charging during a 20 hour drive.

1 Like

Youā€™ve got a good point, but itā€™s also worth mentioning that itā€™s actually fairly easy to retrofit a gasoline engine to also run on corn squeezings. Knock rating of ethanol fuels is often actually a lot higher than pump gas, so you can run all of the timing. In the long term, for enthusiasts, this is a good option, and one that many have already taken.

1 Like

Donā€™t forget, you donā€™t need that for diesels. Our old 06 JETTA TDI purred much smoother on B100 than it did on dino.

1 Like

time to turn her into a dedicated track day carā€¦ ready for the LS swap?

1 Like

My experience with Biodiesel is that it eats gaskets not designed for the additives. Iā€™ve had plenty of people say they havenā€™t experienced it, but I remember a good chunk of bus maintenance at TAMU Transportation Services was dedicated to replacing gaskets that had failed on two year old buses.

1 Like

You misspelled Hayabusa swap.

1 Like

I expect dinosaur squeezings to be widely available well beyond our lifetimes.

Corn squeezings strike me better used as food than fuel, nevermind the low-to-negative energy ROI involved in ethanol production. Fine for hobbyists but not sustainable on a large scale.

Cellulosic ethanol (or any other biofuel) from biomass without screwing up the soils with minimal additional inputs makes more sense but that nut doesnā€™t seem to have been cracked to a satisfactory degree.

Biodiesel strikes me an even more acute scale problem than ethanol. Thereā€™s only so much waste fryer oil, rendering plant drippings, and other sources of waste long-chain hydrocarbons. Making it from fresh feedstocks has the same energy ROI problem that plagues ethanol distillation.

3 Likes

Gasoline still has quite a bit to go.
Manufacturers are still holding out(need to get reliable) a lot of technologies that can improve fuel economy.