New tools & supplies in the eLab

We have some new tools and supplies in our electronics lab. This was a fairly significant purchase given our budget. Please take care of them and use wisely, none of these items should leave the eLab!

1x Hakko FR300 Desoldering Gun

The desoldering gun should be replaced back in its case and put in the black toolbox when finished.

1x Hakko FX888D Soldering Station

2x Irwin Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper

4x Solder Reel Stands

1x Solder 60/40 1/2 pound roll
3x Solder 63/37 1/2 pound rolls

Solder is very expensive, do not reel off 10 feet to take home. A 1/2 pound roll is $20/ea., 1 pound is $30/ea. Since we have had a few rolls seem to disappear very quickly we will be rolling small amounts at a time onto the reels. If you cannot find any let me know (via PM) and I will give you the code to the electronics locker in the breakroom. As much as I like Jim & Jimmy Tanner, I don’t want to be buying $100 worth of solder a week.

We have two new Fluke 115’s on the way to replace those that walked. If these disappear we will have to go to a bring your own policy. Or lock them up with a check in/check out system. Don’t make us be your parents. Remember: Be excellent!

Thanks, that is all.

7 Likes

Thanks for keeping us stocked and running smoothly! The desoldering gun is a great addition.

Super disappointed to hear that we have an issue with multimeters growing legs…

1 Like

Me too. Two new ones on the way. And to the rest of you the security camera has been upgraded!

6 Likes

Do we need these to track the wandering “children”…
https://www.google.com/search?q=BuddyTag

(Or something similar.)

Maybe a EAS based system

2 Likes

That’s actually an interesting idea. Especially since the flukes are worth more than that.

It would prevent people who honestly forgot they put it with their stuff to transport and walked out with it, and would show intent if someone removed security tags.

Buuuut no ones going to be there to check bags, and false alarms happen more than positives.
Source- too much retail work.

2 Likes

Yeah, but if someone walks through the gates and it goes off, the camera would have a better chance of catching the who and when, even if it didn’t capture them stuffing it into their bag.

Now, if we had to do this, that would be A SUPER PATHETIC statement on the membership, but if they walk out again, I would be pro-chaining them to the benches.

Edit: That’s only slightly hyperbolic.

1 Like

Yep, there has been an issue with the growth. Not everyone seems to have the same concern for honesty and integrity.

I hate that we need cameras at all. The reason I would prefer tools not to leave the eLab is that I then cannot look for where they went on other cameras. Not that would really help anyway.

Too hard to manage check out/in processes also. Our choices are for the users to manage the tools better or eliminate the tools altogether. Hate to go that way.

Yay desolder-er! I might be spending some time with that shortly… I’ve only ever worked with the spring loaded solder suckers in the past.

Speaking of supplies an Amazon box arrived at the space for the electronics committee today. It’s on the left bench against the side wall.

2 Likes

I want to buy a soldering station for home. Do y’all really like the Hakko products? I don;t mind spending money on multi use items that will last a long time,

They work well and are quick to heat up. Would be nice if we had smaller tips and smaller diameter solder to use with them for surface mount stuff though.

The new Fluke 115’s are in the toolbox. They are not to leave the eLab! If you need a meter elsewhere in the space take something else.

When done with the please return to the toolbox.

Also does anyone know where the label maker went?

I’ll have to try them out. My 20+ year old fluke 77 has started to have issues with the display, so time to figure out what to get next.

I love mine, if you need a recommendation.

As we used to joke, “If it works it’s a Fluke.”

DVMs can be cheap. Not great, but there is no reason an inexpensive meter cannot do most jobs. Which is to say other committees can buy their own.

My own stock of meters runs the gauntlet of very cheap to pretty decent. Like my soldering iron and 3D filament, I’ll bring my own.