New to managed switches

I just verified that the switches Transmit out is on RJ45 pin 3 and on my switch it is at 9600 baud:

It shows a 10 volt signal, but my scope probe is flaky, so I discount that for the moment. This agrees with the other information that you and others have put out, so the cable would be like this.

PC serial port DB9 Switch management port RJ45
pin 2 RX -----------------------------------------------TX pin 3
pin 3 TX ----------------------------------------------- RX pin 6
pin 5 Ground ----------------------------------------- Ground pin 5

Note that pins 4 and 5 on the switch console port are connected inside the switch

Does that mean you’ve been able to pull up the CLI?

Not yet but I’m making a cable now. From your Table 23 there are no handshaking signals, so you only need three wires. BTW, the voltage readings were correct. I just worked on embedded systems for too long where the serial port signals are usually 0 or 5v, or more recently 0 or 3.3v

From sparkfun website:
By the RS-232 standard a logic high (‘1’) is represented by a negative voltage – anywhere from -3 to -25V – while a logic low (‘0’) transmits a positive voltage that can be anywhere from +3 to +25V. On most PCs these signals swing from -13 to +13V. I mentioned earlier that it could be positive/negative signaling, but I seemed to forget my own admonition.

I gave up on Amazon cables. Got these at Micro Center and will try again…Paul, if these don’t work, I’m going to ask to borrow your known good cable to test my console port!

Waited an hour to get in at Micro Center Dallas - try this link to get in line ahead of time.

1 Like

Using the hacked together 3 wire cable I described
ConsoleLoginScreenOnICX6450

Of course now I have to figure out what to do about the login credentials. I expected a highly controlled configuration environment, but without a login required.

That would be no problem at all (other than at this stage the connections from hacked serial cable to hacked LAN cable are just twisted together and not even taped).

I’m going to try to safely verify that the first cable you ordered works, I ordered one and it just came in after I got my Frankenstein cable hacked together and tested!!!

I know, the first time I went after companies started sending everyone to work from home, there was a line inside to check out that snaked all around a couple aisles. Then they started controlling how many people could be inside, but everyone outside was standing close together. At least now they send you a text when it’s your turn.

I would have never guessed that Microcenter would have those specialized cables on the shelf!

Try this to reset the password:

The cables I purchased did not work. @paul00 - Can you send me your successful pinout?

Look right below the Oscilloscope photo earlier in this thread.

Look right below the Oscilloscope photo earlier in this thread.

Here it is

PC serial port DB9 Switch management port RJ45
pin 2 RX -----------------------------------------------TX pin 3
pin 3 TX ----------------------------------------------- RX pin 6
pin 5 Ground ----------------------------------------- Ground pin 5

Note that pins 4 and 5 on the switch console port are connected inside the switch

Found it! Making cable now!

1 Like

Make sure you look at the connector pin numbering from the right perspective
From https://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/modular

Okay…building some suspense here…I’m going with a 3 wire only cable. Cables tested for continuity prior to punching…see attached

No joy…we still have a blank PuTTY

01 Device Manager

02 Session Settings 03 Serial Settings

Inked04 NoData_LI

I went and checked, mine is hooked up with a “cicso compatible USB FTDI cable” of unknown origin.

Just to make 100% sure, what port on the switch are you plugged into?

@malcolmputer

1 Like

Nope, that’s the same as mine.

Only thing I can think of you haven’t tried before returning it is finding a way to hard reset it (the previous owner may have disabled the serial port).

I have tried the old fashioned press the reset buttom while turning on the power trick, but it did not work.

Seller agreed to take it back. I will send it back and ask for another.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try it

That’s not usually how managed switches do it. On some of mine for example, After it’s fully powered on have to press and hold it for 30 whole seconds. Lights will usually flash in a pattern (typically described in the manual) to show it’s gone into reset mode. Some units require a full reboot after the reset to get the default config loaded properly.