New to managed switches

Well, the adapter cable didn’t net any difference…and the forums link to the very cable I bought…c’est la vie.

Is there any way to test a console port?

Cisco Gear should always post during boot up.

Just confirming did you buy a “Cisco” Console cable?

I don’t remember Cisco offering a USB to RJ45 but it’s been a few years. When I was doing this stuff we used the blue Cisco console cable and a USB to Serial adapter and never had any issues.

If you have the older one that uses an RJ45 cable to DB9 connector, you use a rollover cable, which is pretty much an 8 pin phone cable. Pin one maps to pin 8 on the other end. If that doesn’t work you use an Ethernet cable which maps 1:1 on each end (but really uses twisted pairs of wires on specific pins, but that doesn’t matter for this use case)…

For those of you in the biz, I got one of these a few years ago. It completely changed how I console into things. Hook it up, and then connect via wifi or Bluetooth. No more having to stand at the rack to console in, no more having a fan roaring on my desk.

So nice to not be on the cold aisle at the datacenter.

https://www.get-console.com/shop/en/22-airconsole-pro-20

3 Likes

I got one of those in January 2018. However I don’t use it in the way you do. I use it for wireless printing to the console. We then have a record of the machine. I have not used it in bi-direction communications though. I still use Hyperterminal for making changes in my communication cards. Ie setting up the Bacnet device instance, baud rates and Protocols. Ironically we switched from RS-232 to RS-485 about 10 years ago.

1 Like

Will it matter if the Brocade manual says the TX and RX cables are backwards from the Cisco standard? Or, since they are still one to one, is that what matters?

I tried punching a different adapter cable, this time using a keystone, swapped pins 3 and 6, and still no change in behavior.

That thing is so versatile, connect to anything db9, rj45, or other adapter. It does especially well with super old hardware that only the manufacturer knows the voodoo that the serial port puts out.

I got the extended battery, and most new switches have a powered usb port on them, so I can configure an entire switch stack at once.

This is the cable I purchased. Click here

Check your drivers to make sure it’s working I bet that has some sort of FTDI USB to Serial driver in it.

@Robert_Davidson I show both the USB Serial Converter and the USB Serial Port, both using the FTDI drivers installed.

Does the Com port assigned match what you are using in putty etc.

@Robert_Davidson Yes. It is COM4.

Did you set the speed to whatever the device wants?

Most are 9600 8-N-1 but googlefu your device to see what it’s serial port settings should be.

@jottwell yes. All the settings are correct.

You get the switch new or used? If used may want to factory reset it in case they prior owner disabled serial.

My research doesn’t show the ability to factory reset without the CLI. The newer versions reset by turning it on while pressing the reset button. On thIs model the reset button only reboots.

What a hoot!

I check out Talk to see if there is any news about reopening DMS.

And I see this thread, which looks interesting because I am working on adding some security cameras that I want walled off from the rest of my LAN, and here are the guys that put me through some welding (and other) “certifications” discussing using 48 port enterprise class switches in their home networks.

2 Likes

So when I saw how much bang for the buck you can get with a used Brocade ICX6450-48P I had to buy one!

$140 plus tax (shipping included)

I was planning to use an Edgerouter X behind my U-Verse modem/router, but still needed a POE switch or a bunch of POE injectors to power the cameras. This thing will switch and power everything I might want to connect, and I probably don’t even need the Edgerouter X – although I might still need it to provide some firewall protection for a DMZ’ed machine or alternatively to support a VPN server.

1 Like

I have not been able to get into the CLI…I’ve got more cables coming from Amazon over the weekend.

If it wasn’t for the whole social distancing thing, I’d be happy to let you borrow my console cable to see if it’s the switch or computer that’s at fault.

Hey! I’m a man of exactly two talents. That’s it, you’ve found all of them.

I know right! There’s a forum post on servethehome, make sure you pop in there and message the guy who has spare licenses.