New To Makerspace

Hello everyone, my name is Andrew Bittner. Very excited to get involved with makerspace. First ill give my background, I have been a manual machinist/ tool maker/ welder/ fabricator for 20 years. I have worked for a wide variety of industries including Tool and Die making, medical device, wind generator and electric motor repair, aerospace. I am currently working during the day at University of Texas at Dallas in the mechanical engineering department machining and instructing engineering students in machining practices and machine shop basics. In the evening I work for a stamping production shop as a toolmaker. I would very much like to start teaching some classes at makerspace but need some feed back from current instructors on what they have already been offering. I also want to know what other members want to learn so i can create classes that current members want to attend. What training do I need to do to be able to use the equipment? Obviously a few safety classes for liability reasons but I’m not sure what else since i already have lots of of experience. Looking forward to getting to know folks and having fun so replay back (tom foolery is welcome)

13 Likes

@nicksilva @Photomancer

I’m new to DMS as well. I know a few of us are very interested in a hands on MIG & TIG welding class as a follow up to the safety course. I’d definitely sign up if you got approved to teach those classes as I think there’s a shortage of available instructors.

Shinpei

I would suggest MIG first, get comfortable with that process then move on to TIG. They are two drastically different processes. I personally enjoy TIG more but it takes a lot of practice and skill. That is why learning the basics with MIG helps. I would want to do two separate classes, one for each process.

I would love it if we could do a class on gear making. I am working on doing a build of a folding large format field camera, and it uses some simple gearing, but it’s not something I’ve tackled before and it seems like a somewhat specialized area.

1 Like

I will speak up for some of us more artst folks Some of are interested
in ways to make tools that we can use in things like jewelry making
I tend to have to be a cheerleader for things, since I am partially blind

It would all depend on the design of the gear. Gear making is a very specialized process that sometimes involves special machines and tooling. But since it is your design then the option is open for you to decide what kind of gear. Simple gears can be cut with a dividing head and a special endmill.

1 Like

Absolutely, I have tons of tools and fixtures in a toolbox I have made over the years for specialized setups. some only used once then are left to collect dust.

1 Like

I’ve browsed through the event listing and I haven’t seen anything for Bridgeport training. I think I may start there.

Walter’s gear class info:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/BasicGearDesign

It’s likely easier and quicker to buy, though perhaps not as rewarding…
http://www.sdp-si.com/products/Gears/Index.php

David Kessinger ( @Photomancer ) teaches it from time to time, and may have insight/leg up. Nick Silva ( @nicksilva ), as the current chair of Machine Shop, as well as a teacher on the Bridgeport, will also probably be a valuable resource for developing that curriculum. :+1:

3 Likes

Nick is currently working a second shift job, so he is not around
during prime time, He may be available late nights Check with him if you need to

I’ll be putting one up soon. But I just totaled my car yesterday so not committing to anything until I get a replacement vehicle or at least a beater to drive.

We have the indexer to cut gears, I’ve never personally cut one and I don’t believe we have the cutter for it. Once you have the correct diameter for the number of teeth, it’s pretty straight forward and repetitive operation as you do one tooth after another.

1 Like

From what I remember of Walter’s class, he supplied his own cutters and Al blanks. Think each tooth took multiple passes on the indexer. Also learned about something called involute curves.

1 Like

The dividing head we have is 40:1, with 3 plates. We I think just ordered standard sized arbors. We do need to look into the center for that dividing head. It is on my list, but my list stays long & ever changing in priorities.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I’ll be coming in Thursday evening to pick up my key fob and nose around a bit. I came last Thursday for the tour. I live in Carrollton about 10 minutes from DMS and my night job is right down the street at 35 and Vallyview. I have a massive amount of tools and cutters that I don’t use because of working at the University. So if any one needs to use anything specific I’m close by. I dont plan on setting up and training right away I’d like to settle in and meet people. More so just looking for ideas and what is already offered. I don’t want to step on any of y’alls toes.

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing you become active in Machine Shop. Hopefully you’ll be able to make the committee meetings to meet folks and contribute.

Welcome!

1 Like

Definitely interested in a Bridgeport class, sorry to hear about your car! Hope you didn’t suffer any injuries!

My schedule is pretty full right now, but I plan to phase out from my night job. Working 8-5 and UTD then going straight to another job until 11 is wearing me out. Small steps in the right direction. Are the committee meetings listed on the events board?

1 Like

Just a little soreness from the seat belt … nothing that a brewski can’t alleviate.

Thanks for the thoughts.

6 Likes

For 90% of applications stock gears with some easy bore modification done on the lathe should be good enough:

https://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/?cid=p130

1 Like