New Tig Welder procedures?

Hey, couple questions:

1. If trained on the old Tig unit, does studying the manual cover getting going on the new machine?

2. Consumables: Either the kit or individual parts listed in the [handle PDF] (http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/global/Products/GunTorch_GunsandTorches-Pro-Torch-PTA-17/e12150.pdf) correct?

I started on an update to the Wiki page with some useful links.

1 Like

For anyone who has previously used the old machine, feel free to use the new machine. We ask that you just familiarize yourself with the different features & be sure to mind the duty cycle. There is a quick start/cheat sheet to look over.

Consumables, they are for the Lincoln style 17 torch. I ordered for myself some last night from Amazon, free next day delivery. I also ordered the TIG finger.

I myself am wanting to practice more. I got my own consumables because I didn’t want use all of ours.

Blue circle was the first try, orange was the second on 16 gauge stainless with no filler.

My trys on 7 gauge (3/16"). I ordered the tig finger just because I wasn’t able to hold it as steady to get better welds.

4 Likes

Gawd help us … another machine he can weld things with.

Note that this machine does not have a water cooler torch at the current time. You’ll notice this when welding near 150 amps, and going above this may result in torch damage without water cooling.

I’m carving out time to work on the Miller 250 with the water cooler, but it will be at least next week until I get to it.

We’d love donations to help by a water cooler for the new Lincoln. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I couldn’t help but notice the crater at the end of those welds. Push in a little more filler rod on that last bit and then taper off the pedal as you “swirl” the electrode around as the arc dies off. That’ll give you a nice crater-free end to the weld.

For everyone: Jody on YouTube in his Welding Tips and Tricks has a great series that will help you make great welds.

1 Like

No filler rod, straight lap joint with only parent material.

Ah, ok. Well, tapering off will still help avoid that crater. He’s going to be an expert in sanitary welds soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

First running less than a foot of bead, this looks pretty good.

1 Like

Great. Now Tim has a NEW way to piss me off for my lack of skill and persistence!
( :wink: )
Looks like a nifty machine. Hope I get some time with it (no matter how bad my welds look!)

2 Likes

I’d be lucky to get two bits of metal stuck together, given my rusty skills at this point (still no 220v outlet in my garage).

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Try spot welder - generally successful; first try. This device has zero appeal to Tim … as a descendant (I suspect may be a son - I mean love of fire and red beard) of Prometheus, there must be a flame or plasma arc.

1 Like