New specs for laser computers (upgraded and resolved)

I don’t either. But the “doing the design work at the computer” has always been an on going problem. What incentive is there not to do it there? It’s there, may as well do it.

I fully understand and appreciate the need to tweak things, but I’ve seen numerous times walking through there folks doing design work - tweaks don’t or shouldn’t take hours. If so, then you should probably do it on another computer.

If we need several more capable computers and licenses to do the work elsewhere before coming to the laser then I’m all for supporting the purchase of a couple more computers.

3 Likes

You are efficient and skilled on the lasers but what I have witnessed was not staying ahead of the game. More like searching for designs and patterns on Thingiverse to copy and tweak for a hour+.

I cannot say how many times I have seen the laser cut tree candle holder or cardboard Tardis being tweaked/tested/rinse/repeat for hours.

Looking forward to the one person spending 8-10 hours per day engraving cutting boards for the holidays. Should we consider a limit now? After 4 hours straight can you let the next person do their 5 minute cut?

Then I honestly think it’s fair if you ask the person designing on those computers to step off and let you cut your designs while they can prepare their files elsewhere or when there’s no queue on the lasers. If they won’t do it, then we deal with them by going through the committee person or volunteers with chairs.

It’s all about teaching people the proper etiquette of being a good person and sharing a community tool. I’ve had seen people hog those printers with nothing on the queue to cut and that does upset me too… If you’re not cutting or close to cutting on on the lasers, gtfo and let others on to finish their task. If I know that the person next is printing something that should take 5 minutes, I’d be happy to let them go first so I don’t hold up their time.

I’m only asking for a simple GPU upgrade to multitask and get me off those lasers sooner. I should have rephrased it earlier. To me, even moving a couple of shapes around in Illustrator = designing. I didn’t mean to make you guys think to actually designing in those computers.

1 Like

If they were better, even more people would design on them.

2 Likes

That’s a shitty reason for us to not update them. The problem isn’t reasonable computer specs. It’s shitty people not respecting the rest of the membership.

6 Likes

I’m in agreement with Kim and Pearce on this one. For complex jobs, having a computer that can efficiently manage large files would be beneficial. Users should also be aware that those computers aren’t for designing. I absolutely think it would be ok to remind members that those are not there for design work. I would hate to keep that computer from being upgraded because of how it “might” get abused.

I will add one more scenario though that muddies the water a bit though. When I was starting to make a Leather Stamp out of Delrin I was doing quite a bit of testing, and changing power/speed settings. So I would run a job, check the work, change the settings, then run the job again.

“Tweaking” work, is going to be subjective, but I think just having a conversation about it would be enough to make sure members aren’t tying up the laser for design work.

4 Likes

I’m curious how this works, when you’re supposed to be looking at the laser cutting your material while the laser is running.

Yes because you’re suppose to stare at the laser as it’s cutting to damage your eyes.
No. I believe even the instructor advise you that it’s imperative to stay at the laser area in case of accidents. Hence, why not multitask?

2 Likes

If you have the cover closed, a reflected laser will not damage your eyes.

it’s imperative to stay at the laser area in case of accidents.

Not exactly “at the laser area.” I call your attention to item 2 under Laser Area Guidelines
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Committee

I’ll let the laser committee check on that rule.
Obviously 95% of people I met doesn’t follow that requirement. If you actually use the lasers instead of only reading it’s instructions and rules, you’d know what I mean.

2 Likes

I’d be defensive too if I were on Talk admitting to ignoring the laser safety instructions, and asking for computer upgrades to help me do even more ignoring the safety instructions.

1 Like

It could be interesting to post amount of PC login time and cut time paid by user.

1 Like

Yeah you did mis-hear that part of the training. That’s nothing compared to you going straight to snide misrepresentation of what Kim has said. Kim “admitting to ignoring laser safety instructions” is a condition that exists only in your imagination.
Kim never said she left the laser area. She was presenting an example. Furthermore, she didn’t say anything about leaving the laser running unattended. Or not pausing it first.

2 Likes

And a direct violation of the Laser training, by the way.

Watch the Laser until the job is complete.

Yeah you did mis-hear that part of the training.

Huh. I guess the Laser committee (@Team_Laser ) needs to re-write the training. Here’s a direct quote from the “General Procedure” section, from the Laser class materials linked in the Wiki:

1. Watch the Laser until the job is complete.

Kim never said she left the laser area.

Agreed. It would be difficult to “multitask” on the laser computer if the laser user left the area, and leaving the area probably doesn’t require an upgraded graphics card.

snide misrepresentations

Kim asked for an upgraded graphics card so she can “multi-task” by loading the next layer while one layer cuts. Pearce explained how that is an efficient use of time and Kim agreed. I may have been snide, but I did not misrepresent a practice that violates the Laser training materials.

Realistically no one is going to stand in front of the machine and watch the laser for cuts longer than a few minutes. I have literally never seen anyone doing that.

Point a webcam at the laser bay and have it run on the computer so you can watch it and use the computer… also have it run on that TV beside the computer for people sitting on the chairs. Problem solved, and the best part is you probably need a better graphics card to run the video stream on the computer anyway :^)

2 Likes

You joined Talk 12 minutes ago. How many laser jobs could possibly have been run in that time? :wink:

Every time I’ve cut stuff, I’ve watched my cuts. I don’t want to be the “fire guy.”

1 Like

I think you completely misrepresented what Kim said, and were unnecessarily rude doing it. I don’t expect I’ll convince you of that, nor will I try to.

If someone isn’t there for a cut I turn the machine off. When I was laser chairperson I warned several people, watch your cut or this will be the last time you use the lasers. We’ve had a fire before on a laser at DMS. Watch your cuts for fucks sake.

7 Likes

I think you misinterpret this. I think what Matt said is that instead of directly looking at the lasers cutting, you can have an IP cam like the 3dlabs to view the cuts on the computer next to it. That way, you can view the process there without damaging your eyes, I.e literally watch your cut as well as having the option to multitask.