New SIG - Wide format Printer team

As promised; the RFP. DMS - DRAFT REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL Large Format Printing Acquisition - Google Docs.pdf (121.3 KB)

Estimated space requirements
DMS Printer space block

Is 27’ x 22’ the space allocated already? I showed up late last night so might of missed that part.

No, the room that the wide-format printer, the vinyl cutter, and the dye sub equipment is currently set to move to is roughly 16’ x 13’.

2 printers, contour cutter, dye sub, scanner, 1-2 PC workstations, and media storage is a tight fit. What is the foot print of the dye sub equipment? I will draw up some plans tonight based on 16’ x 13’ .

Please come to the ca meeting. We need to split that room up with several other items unless the idea is a completely separate room. Could you expand on the idea you guys shared?

Will you be around tonight? I can show you what we have - scaled.

Ok, I just realized a lot of problems with this. The default sizes in draw.io are WAY off. That door is 80" wide. I’ve corrected it and attached a new drawing. DMS Printer space block2
We can make it narrower by moving the door to the side or no door, storage under the table and storage in the corners. Lots of options, I was just trying to get the basic needs in.

64" Printer: 101 x 33 x 54 in; Cutter: 77.9 x 26.8 x 45.1 in
48" Printer: 80 x 33 x 54 in
Table: 75x75"
Desktops, standard 6’ folding table. (30x72),

Sure, I will be there around 7pm.

I’m just guessing on the dye sub as 48x34"DMS Printer space block 18x14

That was kinda my thinking on the layout but the cut table has to go too. The printer dimensions you have are the footprint of the machine but not the working area. You will need minimum 4ft for loading/unloading media in front and ideally ~3ft in back. I don’t know enough about the art printer to say if it requires the same. The plotter can sit against the wall and a rolling media cart might be best for storage that can be pushed into a corner and pulled out to access the media. Computers don’t have to be in the same room as the printers can be network connected.

I was expecting the equipment to all have wheels for access to the back.
Not having a cut table will make everything awkward. It’s used for more than just cut’s, it’s for framing, transferring cut outs, etc. Finishing table may be a better name.

I was thinking if we can get lucky with a donation and it ends up being a rear loading it is best to plan for that 3ft of space. If it is front loading it only needs about 6in from the wall for airflow.

I agree the finishing table is essential but it would make things too cramped in that space. It would be better to use a general workbench or cutting table in another area than try and squeeze one in there.

I’d like to be added to this forum. I’ll continue to follow and contribute where I can.

Where do we stand on the Wide Format Printer? Last I heard we were waiting on parts but that was a couple of months ago…

1 Like

Really wish we could get this SIG back on track. Even a nice 11x17 printer would be better than nothing. One of the reasons I originally joined the space.

2 Likes

I have asked the sig to schedule a meeting in the next few weeks (prior to the next CA meeting) so we can start moving forward again. I haven’t checked the calendar lately but hopefully the meeting will be showing up soon.

2 Likes

Yeah, I need to get that scheduled up.

Current status on the 44" printer is it’s not working. It will randomly not feed from different ink cartridges with no discernable cause/effect.

I personally believe we should just purchase a new printer with a warranty and service contract instead of trying to repair and maintain a used printer that has been donated. Typically wide format printers are used at a business until they don’t work well and develop running issues, which is when they become a “donation candidate”…

9 Likes

I think this should be a priority topic for the SIG and the CA meeting

1 Like

The HP we have isn’t really a photo printer, and meets too few of the requirements we laid out the last 2 years.

I vote for a Roland all in one (that does contour cutting), or the HP with added vinyl cutter (we could use it to replace ours just because room is needed).

AND we should get a smaller printer to handle the bulk of the demand.

1 Like