New SIG meeting rules

Last night at our June Committee meeting we voted on some new rules that will give us better, more consistent accounting of our SIG meetings.

From now on, SIGs will be required to meet at least once per fiscal quarter. It is recommended that more active SIGs meet once a month, but I was hesitant to put that requirement on some of the SIGs that didn’t need to meet that frequently.

Additionally, SIG meetings will now be required to post minutes on their wiki pages. The minutes must include attendance, a list of voted items (and the vote outcome including yay/nay/abstaining numbers), and a monthly purchase report. @dougemes will create a SIG meeting template and upload it to the CA wiki page.

This is a starting point, and we will add/remove things from the template as necessary in future votes. Yes, I understand that some people have concerns about making things more legalistic, but my hope is that this will give the committee (particularly the chair/vice-chair) the ability to know what is happening in all parts of the committee without needing to be in all places every time. Also, it will give each SIG the meeting framework for a potential future as its own committee.

As a reminder, SIG votes are not binding, they are only an agreement of what to bring to the committee to vote on. This allows the greater discussion to happen in the SIG meetings (especially where equipment is concerned), but still gives the whole of CA the ability to ultimately vote on the issue.

3 Likes

What is the current list of CA SIGs? Thx.

Our Wiki has a newly updated list!

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Creative_Arts#Special_Interest_Groups

2 Likes