New Scrap Bin in metal shop

All,

the scrap bin has been reduced in size… it’s about 1/4 the previous volume. This is to help deter the deposits of large trash items like plasma cutouts. This is meant for things like pieces of bar stock cutoffs, decent areas of sheet, things that can be used as common parts like stands (but not cast iron like old jack stands), etc.

There will be a separate stand I’m making for vertical items next to it. We’re already tight on space, and we can make a nicer scrap setup once expansion hits.

Cheers,
-Jim

P.S: Yes, this was made with scrap from the torched apart old bin.

12 Likes

ITS SOOO CUTE!!!

I just want to squeeze it’s little cheeks.

Thanks for all the hard work on turning that bin into something usable.

3 Likes

Ironically, the other parts of the scrap bin are upright next to it until I can cut it down more or figure out what to do with them. They have enough stock material it would actually be used well.

-Jim

Nice, clean, welds. Stick, MIG, or TIG?

Once upon a time, someone had volunteered to periodically recycle the metal in the old bin. Did that plan fall apart? Given that this bin is not for collecting true scrap like plasma cutouts; is the best approach to place those in the dumpster now?

1 Like

MIG; I do still need to cutoff some excess material in the sheet…

Also half the welds are mine, half are not; we reused a corner of the old bin, then chopped various parts and rewelded.

Take them out and recycle like a responsible maker :slight_smile:
For our purposes at DMS, Plasma cutouts aren’t scrap, they’re trash / recycle. Scrap should be reusable in the place it is left.

2 Likes

Is a recycle dumpster available in the DMS area?

I just took all that was in the bin to Ace Metal per a suggestion from some others here; someone else said CMC but they told me over the phone they won’t handle small volumes so YMMV

Whoever hauls it gets to decide in my view.

Funny. I was picking through the old scrap bin and cutting up bigger pieces to make pieces to practice on.
Were those large sheets from the CNC machine not reusable for that purpose? Seems a waste to have to keep buying stuff for the classes when they could have been cut down for that purpose.

I’m a little but offended you think we’d be that short sighted.

The cuts were metal shards. Pretty useless unless you melt them down into something.

If you need something to cut, don’t worry the scrap bin is still there with scrap in it.

heh
usefulness is in the eye of the beholder I guess. For a person who has nearly 5 minutes of experience welding those shards a nice targets for joinging together.
I was going to make a reference to Darkcrystal and missing shards but I’ve not had enough coffee yet.

1 Like

I grabbed a sheet of plasma-cut steel that would have been useless for anything but welding practice, knowing that it might not be available in the future.

I have enough for the moment and I think I have some alternate sources if needed.
Plus, I can always take an angle grinder to the scraps I weld together to make new practice pieces.

1 Like