New portable JAMMA testbed

What do you get when you combine a cheap surplus power supply, two Hori fighting sticks, a cheap surplus HD15-BNC cable, and a handful of miscellaneous parts?

A new JAMMA testbed!

The HD15 PCB is something I bought a few of years ago and they just come in handy for projects like this! The DB15 connectors are for Player 1/2 sticks and the switches in the middle are Test, Service, and Tilt.

The 6 pin DIN connector is for power, the red RCA on the left is JAMMA audio, and the 2 RCA on the right is for Neo Geo stereo sound.

Here’s a pic from the top showing the rats nest inside. The power and ground wires from the DIN connector are new 18ga wires - all the other wires are reclaimed from other wire harnesses to save money and time.

Here you can see one of the Hori sticks plugged in and Raiden Fighters is playing. The speaker is sitting to the right, just off the pic.

And here’s the game up on the Sony PVM. This isn’t one of the PVMs I got from DMS… but one of those 4 PVMs will be used with this portable JAMMA test rig. This bigger PVM just happens to be the one sitting on my 2nd bench.

Next project will be to convert another X-Arcade style stick like the one on my main bench to use on the 2nd bench. With it and the portable one I’ll have three test rigs to use the next time I host a repair party at my shop. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The three switches on the front were procured from the electronics lab and a small donation dropped in the box. The 2 joysticks were wired up in the electronics lab the night I was helping another member with their Christmas project. All the other work was done at home.

A drill and a nibbling tool helped with cutting out the slot for the edge connector and the DB15 ports. A drill and a large hand reamer cut the hole for the DIN connector and I used a Dremel for the HD15 port hole and for the mounting holes on the DIN, HD, and DB ports. A drill and various bits finished out the rest of the holes.