New Multicam Check Ride Job

now i was trying to be a teacher before the hole update thing and would still like to if there’s a spot open.
im also curious if i supplied my own bits and spoiler board would there still be a charge?

Charge for what?

im sorry i thought i saw we where charging for the re test

There will be a charge. Moving forward you are required to supply your own bits. I expect a prudent user will also supply their own spoil board.

As far as your offer to supply your own bits and spoil board. We don’t expect there to be any problems during the test that would allow the destruction of either. The supervisor will be preflighting your work and if your prep is such that your job would destroy either, you will be sent packing. Cramming 30 minutes prior to the test probably won’t result in a positive outcome.

Question is, exactly how many 45 minute to 1 hour sessions would you be willing to supervise for free? Might sound fun at first, but it is a grind. The checkout fee is for the supervisor’s time. Oh, BTW, if you fail, you won’t be getting the same checkout supervisor twice. I wouldn’t be surprised if the next supervisor wasn’t a bit more stringent.

Please prepare properly. One of the reasons for the consitant test material is so the community can support each other.

1 Like

im not worried about the test ill be well prepared just wanted to get my ducks in a row so to speak. and i really wouldn’t mind being an instructor that’s why i volunteered originally with whatever the payment for the check out going all to the woodshop

1 Like

Yes, we are on the lookout for teachers. But, we are going to be very picky. You have to know the machine cold, you have to be able to provide corporate level training(most likely experienced). Most of the checkout supervisors will be drawn from the pool of teachers and other members of the team. Please keep in mind there are plenty of other volunteer opportunities in the woodshop and throughout DMS. Actually, we would like see people who have been giving woodshop basics classes given preference when possible.

Sounds fair, doesn’t it?

Note: Not all of this was directed at @trapper13 specifically. Many other aspiring volunteers will be reading this.

1 Like

@trapper13 out of curiosity, how many jobs have you processed on the machine and over what period of time? Do you use CAD or VCarve for source DXFs?

yes i understand, ive done quite a few but had more designed than done before the update i used vcarve

Can I get the PDF to make my test job from?
Have the new Multicam instructions been posted?
I have plenty of half inch MDF around. Is that thickness ok, and what are the dimensions of the workpiece?

The money for the check out classes goes directly to the instructors or to DMS and split to pay for repairs, parts, and common use bits?

Also I’m not that vain, but a “Mitch’s workshop” sign gets you extra points.

6 Likes

@themitch22 Class fees go to DMS for Multicam support. The good news is the classes will no longer be 25 people or larger, but probably more like five. Class instructors can claim a normal honorarium if they wish.

Check out fees go to the test supervisor as the past. If a prospect fails, they must use a different test supervisor when retesting. No appearance of failing a prospect just to get a retest fee.

1 Like

@Redmond is finishing the drawing and CAM specs tomorrow. You will be furnished the material to cut. Study aids will also be provided online. Since you will be orally quizzed, you really should review the study aids.

You seem really anxious to take the test, but please study as you would had difficulty with the checkout both times you recently used the machine under supervision.

People really need to figure what they don’t know, but are unaware of. Probably 80% of previously authorized members will be best served retaking the CAM and Multicam classes when released.

Machine preservation is the primary goal. Getting members on-boarded in a close second.

2 Likes

Tell you what Mitch, as personal thanks for all your effort, we will make an adjustment just for you. You may update the text to reflect your request.

:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Oh hell. Mitch will have them cutting a CNC-cut 3D Rube Goldberg machine that self-replicates.

But I’ll award him extra points if he includes the rocket.

3 Likes