New Members Tour Request!

Hey! Our names are Rachel and Ari

We’re looking to use the facility to throw ceramics for the summer! We need help getting trained on whatever we need to do to use the space. (I’m sorry if you saw my post on multiple things. Im just trying to figure out the platform)

If possible, we’re trying to go anytime after 2pm tomorrow

1 Like

I would recommend taking the online course which you can find here:
https://learn.dallasmakerspace.org/login/index.php

That will clear you to use all of our tools, barring the kilns, which you will learn work on a community basis. The class will instruct you on where to put your completed work to be fired by the kiln team. If you are interested in joining the kiln team, now or down the road, let us know and we can get you set up with the training details.

If you already know how to throw and/or handbuild, great! After taking the online class, you are set free to create. Just remember to clean up after yourselves and return items to where you found them. We are a volunteer run community so there is no lovely staff lurking around to mop (this is my dream).

If you are new to pottery, you can check the calendar for classes. If you don’t see a class that works for you, you can pop back in with your interests and availability. If one of our (also volunteer) instructors happens to have skills and time that matches up, they might be able to either meet with you or put a new class up.

There is also a community get-together roughly once a month (Sunday, May 29th at 1pm) where a bunch of us get together and talk shop. That’s a great opportunity to meet other potters and percolate some ideas through.

If you have any specific questions, just let us know and we’ll try to get you sorted. Welcome!

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ll do the training tonight. Do we need to meet with someone to complete our cards and stuff?

Do you mean to attach an rfid fob/card to your account? You can do that yourself once you have one (available in the communal computer lab) by going to maker manager and entering the number printed on the fob.

There is a computer with a waiver ipad stand next to it (you will need to have a waiver filled out with the same email you used to set up your membership). The box with fobs&cards is adjacent to that pc. To get into the building if you do not yet have a fob, you can either go to the front and ring the doorbell or go around to either of the back doors and knock firmly. If you are looking to be up there on a weekend afternoon, chances are exceedingly high that there will be people around to let you in. Just be a little patient as people make their way to the door. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perfect! We don’t have to take a tour, do we? We read that we should meet with someone. I apologize for being repetitive.

I also had another issue with a payment, where would I ask that question?

Start a ticket by emailing [email protected]. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have! Thank you so much for your responses

1 Like

No worries! Taking a tour is super helpful and if you have time, it is worth asking a chatty, non-busy person to give you a spin around or stop by on a Saturday, 10-noon, for a weekly scheduled tour. We try to make everything as self-sufficient as possible since we don’t have employees, but often it can also get a bit confusing.

If you have a specific time you are going to be up at the space tomorrow, I can run up and meet you to do a ‘quick version’ that is a little more ceramics focused. I need to drop off some items anyway.

1 Like

That would be amazing!!! We planned to get there by 2:15-2:30ish

1 Like

Contact/Meetup info sent via PM

Thank you!