New members frustrations

Yeah at this point it could be a drinking game

1 Like

Hey, love the idea of MakerSpaces - I searched for them for years but can’t join DMS because I can’t get there reasonably while I might have in the previous DALLAS location near Walnut Hill.
But when the first sentence of a very long reply/rant is the one quoted then it almost makes the point of the thread - “I was looked down on by a member of the leadership and told I could get out.” Wow “sad” you are “confrontational” you little peon who doesn’t have the right to speak up.
Maybe @Nick is working too hard and needs to back off and do his own thing for a while,

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Walnut+Hill%2FDenton/Dallas+Makerspace/@32.9113249,-96.939532,13z/am=t/data=!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x864e9d7bda866a61:0x987533e1d02f5c62!2m2!1d-96.883875!2d32.881923!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x6f562f9ff01bbebb!2m2!1d-96.9059907!2d32.9407365!2m3!6e1!7e2!8j1505202840!3e3 shows 31 minutes extra

Not too unreasonable

Fine - if in a car - get on a mobility scooter and use DART Rail to go to either Carrolton Downtown (as I did because it is shorter) or Farmers Branch and figure out getting to DMS.
Mike

1 Like

The route I linked to you is the shortest route, the distance from the walnut hill station to ladybird is the same as the bus dropoff from valwood to DMS. You’ll want to use the farmers branch station because of the close bus dropoff. Dart also has an oncall feature they heavily use in Farmers Branch, the bus will pick you up at the station and drop you off at our door.

All dart busses have excellent wheelchair support.

3 Likes

That is an interesting response @Mike1942f. You state that the member you are defending was looked down on and told to leave. Then when trying to point out some source of undue harm that you recognized, you suggest that person, in this case me, should just quit the conversation and leave? Is that not the exact action you are trying to defend against?

That being said, it is an obvious confrontational tactic to blast out to the group as a whole your issues with another member. It is sad that is the manner that the OP chose to use as it rarely works in our group, especially when targeting the small group that helps run the space. I know this from experience, I carry that confrontational title with many others at DMS like @wandrson, @mrhavens, @StanSimmons. It can work and in some cases is necessary as being seen in our access to information conversation happening in the space right now. But, it comes with many costs, the most expensive being other members willingness to do things for you. When the OP is actively wanting other members to host more classes, the confrontational route is not the a good.

That all being said, my original post gave a pretty good idea of the situation the OP is walking into and suggests a solution which could solve that issue. But, it would cost a bit of ego and I’m sure you know how hard it can be to give that up.

Good luck on your endeavors to find a makerspace. I hope you can find one that fits all your requirements Mike.

Gee - well Nick the comment about leaving is yours interpreted into other words. The first quote and the restatement appear in the same paragraph and are enhancements of each other. So you set up a strawman and attack it, which you cheerfully do by saying I am attacking the entire group because of problems with one particular person.
I’m beginning to wonder how DMS functions. - Oh yah, lots and lots of work by the "wonderful” people who must be praised.

Mike

Once I clicked on the link, which I should’ve done earlier, I have to thank you for the courtesy of your reply. It informs me that Google has vastly improved how they handle transit routing and I use DART a lot.
But there was a nagging doubt in my mind from when I went to DMS to prepare for the show and tell with the Apple Corps. So I went and looked at the 533 schedule: http://www.dart.org/schedules/w533we.htm
And what I found again was that the bus only runs on weekdays and then only during the rush-hours. Taking a morning bus requires a commitment to stay at DMS until after 3 PM and taking an afternoon bus requires departure from DMS by seven. Which partly explains why I went to Downtown Carrollton Station, rolled over city streets until I could get on the I35 access road (no sidewalks) to get around the corner to Valwood thence to DMS.
Mike

I’m a 9 to 5 type on weekdays but let’s pick a Friday night and let er rip haha.

and I think the metroplex is bicycle and pedestrian unfriendly…

4 Likes

Everyone needs to do their part to support big oil.

1 Like

It depends upon where in the metroplex you are. I know that I find Plano and Richardson to be very bicycle friendly. I have no issues riding my bike anywhere within 15-20 miles. And when I am really motivated I can ride from Custer/121 to White Rock lake and back with little issue.

4 Likes

And Big Rubber…

635 sucks on two wheels.

1 Like

635 sucks on four wheels.

4 Likes

I had a friend who used to call it SOB freeway. Thinking it was a political reference I asked him why. His response was “Have you ever driven it?”

:smiley:

3 Likes

It is getting better, at the bicycle level by determined pressure from groups of users. Less on pedestrians with Dallas budget emphasis on BiG and slighting maintenance & repairs.
Mike