New members frustrations

While I am new so I understand that no one really cares what I think. So when i make a comment about how frustrating it is not being able to take classes and maybe being able to offer discounts unill at least we could use several machines we joined for and then was responded to by a committee chairman that i could always just go to a machine shop and pay more and that my membership would quickly be replaiced, you might want to rethink your leadership

4 Likes

then by all means step up. election is 09/14 in the purple class room.

3 Likes

I would be happy to if I was able to use any of the machines would love to teach not quite sure why you are so hateful

As a new member he probably can not vote yet.

What election is this? I don’t see any reference to it through a quick search on talk or in the calendar.

Please remember that we are an all volunteer organization and recently
we have started growing faster than we had in the past

I am sure it is frustrating, but come on it and meet folks, talk tot he folks in the Machine sho[
if that your main interest area, Also look for other interesting classes many will have other uses

We rely on members for our teachers and our maintenance folks

It is an amazing place with lots of amazing folks and talents, We do care

2 Likes

I like new members. I want each of you to feel welcome here as well as to get the information and training you need and want.

I apologize that we are not training to your expectations.

Typically, I think, it is about 3 months to get certified on all the things needed to get someone the access to all the training basics. (Things like 3D or Using the Lasers happen on almost a weekly basis. Either of those could keep you busy for a year.)

There is wear and tear being an older member. EVERY Week there are new members who want to have the training they want…now.

How does training happen? Walk in Nick’s shoes. Every week there is a request, it can be a burden. People get tired of training. People get tired of changing things to attempt to accommodate new members. People get tired of being told they are not doing “it”, “right”. AND it can suck the life out of you.

Nick is very knowledgeable about metal shop. Please give him a chance. If you have concerns about how it is run, please join that Metal Committee.

We are working on better communication with new members. We are working on ways to set expectations so new members understand how things are setup.

Meanwhile, this is an all volunteer organization. No one is paid staff. If an area does not meet your expectations, join that committee and pitch in. This is a SMALL organization. Your contributions make a huge difference.

I appreciate the contributions of every member. It takes lots of people to keep DMS moving forward.

There is LOTS of opportunities to volunteer. The 10x10 art show, helping with the hallway painting project, leading tours, and the open house, on October 7th. Come help off-site abandoned materials, tomorrow. These are the current BIG projects. Clean off the table as you leave. Take out trash. Answer someone’s question or point them toward someone who does have the answer.

If you are treating DMS like a fast food restaurant, you are doing it wrong. I suggest EVERYONE should be actively helping with at least 1 committee. We are a community, please be a part of it. This is YOUR Makerspace.

13 Likes

Nick is probably talking about the committee meeting for machine shop and not any vote that requires membership voting rights.

4 Likes

Any member of any member class has always been allowed to vote in committee elections. Some of our chairs are actually Add-on memberships. Technically, committee votes are just a recommendation to the BoD as who they nominate. In my 4 years I only know of two instances that these were not approved by the BoD.

If you’re member your opinion is equal to any other opinion, but people can differ as to their opinion. The best way to have your opinion count and to effect change, is as Steve (Diplomat) says is to take part in the various things the different committees do. Not everything involves teaching (but it’s important). Sometimes it’s all the glorious and prestigious things like:

• Changing lights
  • Painting walls
  • Off-siting
  • Stringing wire for cameras
  • Getting supplies
  • Stacking and unstacking chairs before/after meetings
  • Unstopping a drain
  • Counting money collected and helping with receipts
  • Cleaning up messes others leave (trust me, you do this for a while and your tolerance drops fast)
  • Maintaining the Freebie shelf
  • Giving tours
  • Help people signup
  • Helping/mentoring other members one-on-one
  • Signing for supplies dropped off that are received during the day and moving them to the committee area they belong (just get them their, the committee members will take care of it
  • Changing air filters
  • Help write-develop and implement a portion of a lesson plan (if you have presentation/writing skills the SME will provide the input)
  • Help maintain the Wiki …

You get my point, there is an S-pot full of small unglamorous tasks that need doing. The folks now doing all of this also pay dues for the privilege doing this, what a deal! Be involved just an hour a month, 15-20 minutes at a time when you’re here by being an involved member, do something from the above list. That’s what keeps the Space going.

Want to have maximum impact: Show up at committee meetings. Just being there shows an interest and these meetings are where your voice and opinions really have the most impact.

7 Likes

I think it was on Sun when the painting of the common rooms was going Kris,
our President ended up taking out a huge bag of trash

1 Like

pardon my intrusion but what is this and where can it be found?

also where can I find rules/ location on the freebie shelf? I thought I might bring some supplies from work and old art projects for anyone that wants them but I can never find a clear and definitive bit of info on it

I have no problemwith nicks knowledge I have no problem waiting what I had a problem with is when I expressed my frustration with not being able to take classes he stated go some where else mor expensive ( which still would not get me certified to us them ) or I could just leave and some one else would be waiting to take my place I know this is all volunteer but with attitude is that what you want on a leadership position no I do not feel this is a Mc Donalds most everyone I have met here has been extremely nice I don’t know Nick and don’t care but when I asked a question and he sniped at me being in leadership level I think McDonalds has much better people in it paid or not I would love to help with a committee but I would like to be able to know the machines in it sorry for the rant

What diplomat was saying, was that we get asked that kind of question A LOT and believe me it wears on you.

7 Likes

This!!! So much this! First time I’ve heard/ seen it. Honestly, if this sentence were included in the open house tours I think 90% of the complaints would disappear. As a new member approaching the 3 month mark I agree with this assessment. I think Makerspace is such a unique concept most people, myself included, don’t even know what questions to ask when signing up. I understand it might be at the expense of a few new memberships, but being forthright and briefly addressing some of the bottlenecks to give prospective members a more realistic view in terms of startup time should alleviate the vast majority of these headaches. To keep a positive spin on this, it could be argued that if anything - the biggest problem might be that the volunteers (I forget their names) that do the tours are a bit too good at their duties! (Hope that doesn’t get misinterpreted as I’m saying it in earnest)

7 Likes

I am a tour guide. No worries.

As tour guides we work to get EVERYTHING into a 45 minute tour. Sometimes we fail. Again, my apologies.

It is not an intentional omission.

1 Like

The tours were great I’m sorry for causing so much problem I don’t mind helping in fact I do the people are for the most part very helpful and friendly I just was very put off by being told go ahead and leave we have plenty to take your spot

1 Like

Hi @Bwana1,

It is sad that you are starting your DMS membership in such a confrontational way. Like others have said, we are a 100% volunteer organization. That means we are not being paid and our volunteer time to help run DMS is actively subtracting from our own personal free time. @nicksilva is incredibly generous in the amount of time he gives to the DMS in running, cleaning, maintaining, and repairing the tools and area in the machine shop. While at the same time being one of the few machine shop instructors, I say few because only about 4 to 5 people out of the 1600 member teach any classes in the machine shop.

So please understand, when you complain that a member, that is already donating easily 20 hours a week running the area you are interested in, won’t make more time to teach training to meet your schedule or time frame, that is pretty insulting. Also, the reason we can offer membership to DMS at a rate of $50 a month is because like Nick Silva there are a group of about 30 or 40 people that also give the amount of time he does to the space each week.

It is in no way that we as a group hate new members. Rather, new members due to their lack of experience in the group can be overly critical of 2% of the space that actually run and keep the DMS accessible to all the membership. Then add in that fact that new members are being critical of donated effort and the prickly responses feel incredibly kind rather than just walking way and leaving their duties to some other member to take on.

So Thomas, if you want to get things on your time frame, I would suggest trying to plug in and help in the areas you are interested in. Rather than placing yourself as the critical victim to the DMS membership as a whole. Because plugging in with the 2% that run this space will actually lead to the result you want. Also, though Nick is getting more crotchety and shorter tempered in time, but he is kind and incredibly giving with his time. I’m sure you can mend this fence with a light apology and a showing of interest in helping in the machine shop. The machine shop is the area of DMS he loves and that is why he gives so much time to keep it accessible for all of us.

Thanks for all your effort Nick Silva and the other core supports of DMS that have commented in the thread. Thomas I do hope you find your way to the knowledge your looking to gain.

12 Likes

Dammit diplomat! I see what you did there - your apology is not called for, completely unwarranted and consequently not at all accepted. I insist you take it back! I was raised on this stuff - don’t make me “out polite” you… :wink:

1 Like

I apologize for apologizing…lol.

Seriously, if I can help, please let me know.

2 Likes

Damn, quite a nice response Nick!

It’s hard to coming into an organization that is so big and not start to think of it being there to serve you as a member. In actuality is is just the opposite. When DMS was much smaller it was obvious that it was a DIY membership.

And to bastardize a great quote:

And so, my fellow DMS Members: ask not what your DMS can do for you; ask what you can do for your DMS.

— John F. Kennedy, inauguration address, January 1961.

May want to add a tagline to our logo:

“We are not TechShop”

5 Likes

Welcome to the Space, Thomas. Really!! Welcome.

You have a point. And you’ve made it. It’s been heard and understood, as well as rebutted. Best course(s) of action has already been suggested, here and elsewhere on this forum, but here it is again:

• Come in and make stuff you already have skills for.

• Come in and help out where you can and get to know people, and familiarize yourself with our culture at same time.

• Keep a very close eye on class calendar to increase your chances of signing up for a class (I suggest daily).

• Show up for classes that you want to take that you weren’t able to sign up for in case there is a no show, a.k.a. flying stand-by.

• Attend committee meetings where you feel you have most interest and want to have greatest impact. It works!

• Keep in mind that while many people here are very helpful, it can also be wearing on the veterans to deal with the newbies at time, i.e. everyone cut everyone else some slack.

• Make Something. Make Something. Make something…

7 Likes