New member,working on making a picture frame

Hi!! I’m new,my name is shelby…And I’m trying too make a picture frame out of raw wood material,I don’t have any training with the tools,But I’m willing to learn,and I want to learn…so I am looking for someone who will trisn me or help a gal out!!! Thank you.

2 Likes

Independent of getting individualized help I suggest signing up for a Woodshop 101 class…
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/4476
(There are more on the schedule if that one is not convenient.)

You do not need training to use the hand tools. (Please wear eye protection.)

On this forum people tend to take more interest the more details are provided (e.g. tell us what raw wood you plan to use) / the more specific questions are asked (e.g. Is mesquite a good choice for a picture frame?).

3 Likes

@TLAR might be able to help(?) as he has offered to help members who may want to make one or some for personal use/enjoyment.

1 Like

When you say “raw wood materials” can you be a little more specific?
I’m up for helping as Ferman posted - but for picture framing - I usually ask that individual visits my place of work for how to build / complete a custom frame:
Cutting the frame material
Joining the frame
Cutting mats or mats
Cutting glazing - glass or acrylic
Cutting the backing material
Assembly, etc

1 Like

Well,I don’t know all the terms for this,but I’m not using pressurized wood,I’m using wood that’s cut.

1 Like

Tom starts from picture framing moulding, which is a great place to start if you’re a beginner. He has wonderful framing material and the end result will be beautiful.

If you want to rip, plane, joint, and route your own “raw wood” that’s a much more involved process and definitely involves taking the Woodshop Basics class. Also, AFAIK, we don’t have any fancy picture frame moulding bits for our routers. We have some plain ones that could be used in combination, but they won’t make anything fancy.

1 Like

I’d definitely be intrested on visiting your workspace and share my ideas and see if I’m on the right path for this.

3 Likes

I spoke to Shelby last night, she does want to use a chunk of raw wood she has found. Im happy to give her a hand with cutting and routing out the windows for the collage effect she was looking for.

3 Likes

If starting with green wood, you will need to be ready and willing for it to move (i.e. warp) before, during, and after working with/on it. Not the best choice for picture framing or other projects where tight and stable joinery is the desired outcomes. This project may or may not fall into that category?

2 Likes

Thabks chris!
I’ve done frames with raw wood - cutting the rabbet is easy at the space.
If she wants to bring the wood up after that is fine too.
Multi opening mats are not a problem either.

2 Likes

and don’t forget that if you learn the CNC router, you can cut decorative frames from a single piece of wood too.

4 Likes

THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHH lol :smirk::disappointed_relieved::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Shelby,
If you are a “day maker” and want to look at some more ornate frame examples, you can visit one of my vendors directly behind the makerspace - Universal Arquati.
Their showroom is open Monday to Friday during ‘normal’ business hours.

2 Likes

I actually don’t get off of work until 6 pm.

Neither do I, and often much later…

But are you ever really “off” work? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

George,
Good point - unlike the mostly worthless sacks in fedreal ,state and local government jobs…I have to actually work.

For me anything over 40 hours is “undertime”

Some of my “off” time is spent at the DMS helping others…

3 Likes

But if you love what you do, is it really work? :slight_smile:

Touché :blankspace::blankspace::blankspace::blankspace::blankspace: