New Member, Welding Help

I recently joined the Dallas Makerspace and have already signed up for several classes. I plan on attending the orientation this Thursday too. I do have one question. I want to take the intro to MIG or TIG welding on Saturday; however, it won’t let me take the classes until I’ve taken the welding process and safety class which I’m currently registered for. Is there anyway I can be registered in the system for the MIG or TIG class before it fills up?

The three welding classes can be done on the same day (big day!). There is not a restriction requiring safety to have been completed prior to signing up for MIG or TIG. Or at least there wasn’t when I took them.

It says that I do. Is anyone else getting this notification?

1 Like

I am reasonably sure there now is. It’s a requirement to be checked off in the AD group for “Welding Safety” before you can register for the others. This is by design, and for good reason, but is, in my opinion, counter to the mission of teaching people welding. But I am not the instructor, nor the committee chair, nor in any other way any kind of “authority”, so it’s just one guy’s opinion.

To extend that, it’d be lovely (and, I think, meet the intention of the class layout) if our calendar would allow simultaneous registration; if you’re registered for the pre-req it allows registration for the others. If you are not checked off on the pre-req by the time class starts for the others, you get dropped. Of course, there are tons of problems with this, if we could do it, too, so it’s hardly “the perfect fix”. Right now, the system does not allow that anyway.

2 Likes

There’s always the old “stick around for the start of the welding classes and see if someone is a no-show and claim their seat”. A friendly word with instructor @LeeCJones during the intro class would make that easier and/or help determine the possible (historical) usefulness.

I am not aware of an “orientation” on Thursday. Do you mean the open house/tour night that happens on Thursdays? Or maybe the Member Meeting this Thursday?
If so, come on out, but they are not “orientation” events, so I don’t want you to be disappointed.

Opps! I meant open tour night at 7 on Thursday. At least that’s what the welcome email said.

1 Like

Absolutely!
All are welcome on the Tours, but they’re tours and not “orientation”, just to be clear. That means there will be a group of folks walking through all the committee spaces and talking about what happens there. Less of the “orientation” aspect as in “this is how you accomplish X”. Your opportunity to ask questions (and get in-depth answers) will be related to how many folks come out and how busy the tour guides (and others) are, so if it’s not too busy, it may well turn into a more orienting experience for you.

Excellent. I look forward to it. Thank you for your help.

To clarify, there is the open tour on Thursday night, at 7pm, which is not a new-member orientation.

There is also periodically an actual member orientation meeting. This is an example of a past event.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1838

1 Like

I talked to Lee & is supposed to take care of the registration.

2 Likes

I have been issues with logging into the events and getting registered. I wanted to take the mug class tomorrow. Just got to finally login in and see the class was closed. Any way i could take the class. I will also be there for the safety training tomorrow morning.

Did you mean MIG?

19 18

Yea sorry auto correct

Very excited to see the MIG class hit the schedule, been checking multiple times daily :slight_smile: and only hear great things about Lee’s class. I’m running into the same issue with the safety class requirement, I’ve registered for the safety class that morning, but it won’t let me register for the MIG class later that day. I’ll definitely do my best to talk my way into the MIG class at the safety training, but is there anyway to guarantee a spot? I know this is a known issue, just wondering if there is a known work around. Thanks.

1 Like

@LeeCJones ?

20 19 18

Lee wisely doesn’t do talk. But he’s easy to run into several evenings a week.