New Member Start Process - COVID Affects

Hi,

I would like to join the MakerSpace but have not found any process documented in the wiki that talks about how new members:

1. gain physical access
  2. get “checked out” on any machine before use. (specifically lathe, mill, laser cutter, 3D printer)
    I have significant experience with all of these machines.

I understand that this process probably has changed since COVID. I apologize if I just didn’t see a previous listing, but could someone either reach out and either point me to the location on the site where this is explained or explain the process for the above after I have paid dues? I wanted to make sure I understand timelines and dependencies before I sign up.

Thanks for your help!
-Matt

2 Likes

Ah, explanations… Thank you for your patience. I don’t think we’ve ever spelled that out, at least not in a spot that “keeps”.

To get physical access, tell us/me when you can come by, and we’ll make arrangements to meet you.

Getting checked out has become more fraught since COVID. Check the Calendar/Events for things you’re interested in, first. If there’s a open class, SNAG IT NOW. Those will be members-only, and you’ll have to sign in to the Calendar in order to reserve your spot.

No open classes? Here on Talk, go to the category and put in a request. Most of the committees are working to make sure you can get access, and we can put up a class, or you may be able to arrange a 1-on-1.

Woodshop and Laser are very popular. What with COVID restrictions, class sizes are small, and some of the previous teachers don’t teach because they need to limit their exposure. 3D printing actually has an online class. Pass it with 100%, and you’ll get access to the printers.

If you see a thread about classes, try not to be a “necro-poster”. If it’s more than… … hmmm… let’s say 3 months old, please start a new thread. And, you can judge that by the last post in the thread. Woodshop has a “class request” thread that’s quarterly.

1 Like

The “how to join section on the wiki” https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki covers the basics. New Member 411 also has some https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/New_Member_411

Once you sign up you’ll get an email with more info. You can post on Talk to arrange to meet someone to let you in. You can grab an RFID key fob and activate it once you’re in the space.

As for tool sign offs that’s handled by the different committees - see the Committee pages on the wiki for basics, post on Talk with specific questions. You can tag the committee leadership with the At symbol and the name, like (at symbol)Team_Woodshop - this will notify all the members of that committee they have been summoned.

edit - oh and once you sign up, post in the “green dot” area on talk to get access to members-only areas of Talk.

Oh, and a couple of notes on signing up. Your user name can’t use capital letters or special characters. Underscore and dash are okay, but not, say, %. There’s a character limit – I think it’s 16 characters?? Not sure on that one.

Once in DMS, the only thing your email works for is the Billing System. All computer access, and the badge access is via your user name.

That was a quick couple of responses. Thank you so much! yes I looked in the how to join and the 411 but it’s not clear. :slight_smile:

I will sign up and send out a general request for meeting up for access and will reach out to specific spaces to setup time to get “checked-out” sign waivers etc.

I also have quite a bit of experience as an engineer and former founder/director of an innovation lab in San Diego so I would be happy to help out with classes, groups etc.

Thanks again,
-Matt

1 Like

In general, if you participate in the various committee meetings you can frequently make arrangements to get checked out on some of the equipment if you have prior experience. Machine Shop is meeting this Saturday (in person and virtually) and it’s a good opportunity to meet the folks and see if you can make arrangements for a 1-on-1 checkout on either the lathe or manual mill.

Not surprisingly, the checkout process for the HAAS VF2 is a little more complicated.

1 Like

@Team_Woodshop, Looking to get trained on the CNC router. Couple of quick questions:

1. do I need to go through the 4 core woodshop courses before the CNC routing course?
  2. from a scheduling stand point can all of this be knocked out in one session?
  3. if not what are schedules like? should I prepare for 3-4 weeks?

I have a significant amount of experience with CNC equipment and woodworking so I will learn quickly :slight_smile:

thanks so much!
-Matt

The woodshop basic class gets you setup to use the table saw, jointer, planer, and covers the use of the chop saw / bandsaws and drill press.
It is a single class and there are spot available in the coming weeks .

Thanks Youssef and @Team_Woodshop

I see the basics courses. But I don’t see one for the CNC router. How do I go about getting trained on that machine after the basics course? Is there a particular person I need to speak with?

Thanks,
-matt

The only person currently authorized to do Multicam training and sign-offs is unable to do them due to Covid concerns. There hasn’t been any Multicam training in quite a while and I’m unsure when that will change.

@cghaly (Chris Ghaly) is the trainer.

To be honest, I’m not sure how long we have until another shutdown…

ok thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate all of the time you all have taken in answering my questions!! Hopefully once I learn it, I could help train folks.

BTW, what software do you guys use to generate tool paths?

Thanks!
-Matt

Vcarve.

Some have used Fusion360 in the past but I believe that feature has been removed from the free version

New here. I am in thr process of signing up to. Thanks for the info.
Out of curiousity. Do you have to get ‘signed off’ before you can use the equipment?

Most equipment requires some sort of signoff, some use your RFID badge so won’t power up if you don’t have access. Some are on honor system. First few months of membership are the toughest, as others have said, go to committee meetings for on the spot sign-offs, check the calendar multiple times per day for classes, request classes that are not showing up. For the committee funding, its better to take a class than one on one training because our committee funding model doesn’t count one on one training. So if woodshop holds 3 classes with 3 people each they get $150, maybe up to $300 if the instructor donates the honorarium, if they sign off 9 people individually they don’t get funding that can be used to replace or add equipment.

Just in case you didn’t see Jacob’s answer above, we use VCarve to generate toolpaths. Lots of toolchains can get you to that point but that’s where you will likely end up.

You can use VCarve by logging into the jump server remotely - or by downloading a trial version and installing a Makerspace Client license available to members for free. Note that the version you download will be a later version and not compatible with the version available on the DMS jump server - that is, you won’t be able to share files between them.

1 Like