New Member - Sewing/Embroidery Enthusiast

Hi, I’m a new member (joined DMS this week!) and I’m very interested in the sewing group, and possibly teaching some classes. I sew on a Singer Featherweight and I have a Brother PE770 embroidery machine, and experience in Embrilliance Essentials embroidery software. I met Serena last night, and talked about some things I would like to teach, possibly some zipper bags, tote bags, fabric dog collars, and embroidered drink koozies. Looking forward to all the possibilities!

Cindy

Pic of a bag as an example…will post more when the system allows me to. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello and welcome! My name is Shay and I’m the incoming chair of Creative Arts. I’m so glad you’ve already met Serena (Talk username @Aneres) as she’s going to be a great resource to get you started.

Probably your best bet is going to be to go to our Sewing SIG (Special Interest Group) Meeting tonight (5/17/2019) at 7pm.

We currently have a Babylock embroidery machine as well as a license of the SewArt64 software. You’ll need to be qualified on the Babylock by an existing instructor before you can teach on it.

You might want to touch base with @ladysandry or Astrud (who can teach on the Babylock) and @gremlin (who teaches hand embroidery). Additionally Serena and Astrud may need help teaching some Sewing 101 and/or Serger 101 classes (again, you’ll need to be qualified by an existing instructor before you can teach on either machine).

Let me know if you have any questions on how to get started or if you need any special equipment or consumables that we don’t have.

Edit: Speaking of which, looks like there’s a class on the babylock coming up soon, so you could get qualified.

1 Like

@Team_Moderators - can we get this new member outfitted with a green member dot?

1 Like

Thanks for the response! I will try to come tonight, not sure if I can but will try. Unfortunately I can’t do the Embroidery class on Wednesday but definitely want to get qualified on it and the Janome machines.

Cindy

1 Like

I would be very interesting in some of the bad classes. I’m a very experienced or, however Sewing is more of a challenge to me now due to low vision issues. You also might check with Chris Marlowe on getting with her on a one-on-one on RM Broderick machine she might be willing to do that due to low . issues vision is a missing word there. you might contact Chris Marlowe to see if she might have time to give you a one-on-one on the embroidery machine since it seems like you already know the basics. Welcome to the group we have some very wonderful things going on. You mentioned fabric dog collars if you’re ever interested in how to make a Martingale are Greyhound type fabric dog collar I am the person to talk to. I used to make those and sell them. Welcome

Thanks Cairenn, a one-on-one with the embroidery machine would be great if Chris is available sometime, my embroidery machine is a Brother which is very similar to a Babylock, same types of files.

I’ve made lots of martingale collars, I do all types of dog collars and leashes, some personalized with embroidery. :slight_smile: Another class I could possibly teach is a no-sew fleece braided leash or dog tug toy.

Cindy

1 Like