New member seeking certification

Hi all! I’m new to the area and interested in joining the Makerspace to get involved in the wood shop. I see that all the intro classes for the next month are booked. I’m coming from another maker space and have some experience in a wood shop; is there a way for me to get squeezed into full classes or schedule a 1 on 1 certification?

Sorry if it’s inappropriate for me to be posting without being a member yet! I just wanted to be sure that I could get access to the facilities I was interested in before I paid for a membership. If this is an issue I can delete my post and seek guidance through more appropriate channels.

1 Like

Absolutely no problem; this is part of why we keep this open to non-members.

Regardless of prior experience, we do ask that members train with us to learn about our specific equipment, environment, and expectations on both sides are set.
Yes, you may “standby” at any class to see if no-shows clear the way for you to attend in their seat. Instructor’s discretion, they have final say. No badgering. But asking nicely will often take you far.
You may also schedule 1:1 (which is to say DMS does not prevent this; we DO like to encourage multi-student classes, though).
Another option is to turn up to committee meeting/work days. Those who pitch-in often are rewarded (no promises, but getting to know the committee and the tools can be easier when you’ve helped with maintenance).

Thank you for your interest in Dallas Makerspace!

1 Like

I would love to help out with maintenance, housekeeping, or shop projects! I browsed the calendar and didn’t see any meetings or workdays listed. Am I just missing them or are they announced here?

You’re right! Not only are there no woodshop meetings currently scheduled, somehow they skipped the entire month of August. Now, that may have been because of all the work being done on the Multicam, but that fact still remains that there was no meeting this month. @IanLee ?

Some committees put several months of meetings up at a time, others barely manage to get them up in time for Calendar/Events publication. Volunteering to be a committee chair means you’ve agreed to be “it”. And, that doesn’t always mean that you’re good at the organizing part of things.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder Beth.

I’m going to be posting for a committee meeting on Aug 31 at 7pm. Normally I prefer to host them on Saturdays but my weekends are packed right now and will be for the foreseeable future.

We’ve setup a community event to visit a local gentleman who runs a sawmill / kiln operation in his backyard on Sept. 18th. We will probably make an afternoon of it and grab lunch on the way there or back.

We are expecting new filters for the felder to land on our dock in the next 2-4 weeks - a work night will be posted on Talk when those arrive to get them installed.

3 Likes