New member question

Hello! I am new to DMS and have seen the chat about people, rudely, leaving used oil in the automotive area. My question is, I have an unopened bottle of gear oil I’d like to leave for anyone to use, would the shelf with the organized bottles be the best place so as it isn’t viewed as “leaving behind”?

1 Like

@Team_Automotive

if @TLAR says it’s ok then that would be the spot. However, donations to committees (especially stuff that can’t just be thrown away if unwanted) need to go through the committee or the chair.

-Jim

1 Like

Thanks! I’m also glad you responded as I am wanting to speak with someone in the metalshop. What would be the best way to ask a few questions, when you have a moment?

You can always PM me, post in the Metal category, or catch me at the space whilst I’m there. I’m probably going to be back this evening working on my steel tubing bumper for my Ridgeline. I bent the core pieces last night and need to notch and tack it for next steps

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like

There is a slide and a conversation on donations in Automotive 101, which is one of the many reasons this is a required class before using the Automotive area, and it keeps a new member for getting a bunch of different answers.

In the case of gear oil, that third shelf to the right side of the lift is for fluids. Members are welcome to leave un-used fluids, in their proper containers for others to share. Brake fluid is commonly used as an example in class, as rarely do members use a full bottle. Almost every slide in Auto 101 has caveats, so in this case- we have always had a policy about not leaving battery acid of other materials which require ‘special care’.

1 Like

Heard that. I asked someone who was there (not sure if they use the automotive area) and they said it would be fine. It’s a container of unopened gear oil. I left it on the shelf that was described. If I need to remove it please don’t hesitate to let me know and I can be back tomorrow evening to grab it.
On the automotive 101 I am very interested in taking this class. I haven’t seen it available that would workwith my schedule as of yet. So if there is any way to schedule a 101 one on one with someone I would be happy to pay for the time!

Unless I’ve figured it out just now, I’m having trouble figuring out how to DM on here haha. My cell is 817-714-9188 It would be greatly appreciated for some direction on how to get into metal working!

This message explains it fairly succinctly (with pictures, to boot!)

2 Likes

Brand new members to Talk are slightly limited in what they are allowed to do. I believe DM’s are one of those limitations.

2 Likes

I’d love to say I’m better than needing such simple instructions…but I know myself too well lol
Thanks for the help though, but no such ’ message’ box pops up.
I might just be too new and not have that ability yet

2 Likes

You are, indeed, “too new”…

Gotta earn that “basic” badge:
How to do that?
Glad you asked!
(Excerpted from here)

Seems like you should be close…

2 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for the help!
…sorry this isn’t too ‘automotive’
The help from everyone is greatly appreciated though!

3 Likes