New Member: Automotive 101 and Auto Lift Request

My name is Logan Epperson.

I just found out about DMS and was so excite that I signed up immediately. Looking at all the things you can learn here, I’m sure I will want to do it all!

What brought me here in the first place though was my interest in using y’alls auto workspace and lift for occasional work on my project cars.

I saw that to use the auto space you must take the Automotive 101 class, and there is an additional auto lift class to use that as well. I have not used an auto lift before and would like to take that class as well so I can use the lift.

After that, I’ll probably start bugging y’all for classes on machining and fabrication in general so I can start gaining more of those skills as well.

Thank you all for your time! I will make an introduction post soon with my interests and experiences. Looking forward to learning with y’all!

1 Like

Automotive 101 is not currently required; the auto committee decided it wasn’t providing immediate value so we’ve pushed off requiring it until we can make it an online class.

As for the list I’m not sure when I can get a class next, but the Motorsports team can often get people during their meets (@Bizwacky @dallasmagna )

If they can’t I can probably catch an evening next week for it.

1 Like

Ok, sounds good. And I’m not completely clear, are you referring to the auto lift class potentially next week? I am not in a hurry right now because I am not quite at the stage of my project where I need the lift, so if you can’t next week, no worries.

Thanks!

Yes, to be clear I should be able to find an evening this coming week to schedule a class.

2 Likes

Hey Logan, welcome to the space!

Generally speaking, motorsports meets Thursdays around 6 and someone there can sign you off on the lift. You could also attend one of the monthly automotive committee meetings to get signed off. Or keep an eye on the calendar I think @hon1nbo has been teaching classes intermittently.

and while the previous responses are accurate, also know using the lift is a use, then lower and pull the vehicle out… it is not approved for 3 days up in the air while I re-source parts. Just making sure you know

Welcome!

1 Like

Absolutely! I don’t really take on jobs that I can’t get done in an afternoon anyway. I’m this case it’d be a down pipe removal/install for my GTI which doesn’t take long.
Good shop manners are alway important!

2 Likes

I’ll be at the Space either Sunday evening or Monday Evening or both nights working on my TDi and if you are around, I can give you the lift class.

Just checking to see if you’re going to be at the Space this evening. If so, just let me know when and I’ll be there.

I am interested in the class as well. Let me know, I can be there this evening as well.

1 Like