New member, Asking after Welding Training and Blacksmithing

Howdy everybody,

Just was able to get the membership squared away today and was looking to try and find out the best avenue to get in touch with those that have the ability and want to teach both of the above skillsets.

I have some limited stick and Mig experience but no formal training for welding.

Blacksmithing I have read and investigated but never had a chance to get hands on for the skillset so would love to kick off that process.

Thanks for your time!

Well, in Metal Shop, we usually teach folks/sign folks off after the meeting. Lucky you, the meeting this month is this Saturday at 3pm. We recommend that you show up for the meeting.

You might peruse the Safety class – https://dallasmakerspace.org/w/images/f/fa/Metal_Shop_Safety_for_Hot_Processes.pdf
If you’ve done any welding, you know you’ll want to be wearing all-natural clothing and leather shoes. Bring your own safety glasses – we want Z87 +u rating.

I was thinking I wanted to advocate for bringing the gloves and glasses that we had out pre-quarantine, but I’m not likely to get to the meeting in time.

1 Like

Man, I had thought I saw that the meeting was at 0900 on Saturday and was hoping to be able to at least hang out for some of it before my niece’s birthday party.

Alright, I will probably try and be flexible for any training that comes up.

But good to know that the meetings are where most of the sign off and checks will happen for future planning.

1 Like

It’s the one that’s easiest to plan for. And, it’s close. Keep an eye on the calendar. Due to machine limitations, classes are small and fill quickly. But – there will be other classes.

Looks like we had a cancellation for Sundays open forge. The calendar says it is full but when you open it up there is one spot available.