New Leatherworking Equipment Donations

I purchased two new tools for the Leatherworking SIG. They have arrived and are now in place in the CA Leatherworking area.

Weaver Master Tools Edge Slicker/Burnisher

This tool has a sanding drum on the left side for smoothing cuts and edges, especially when two+ layers of leather have been sewn together. Use light pressure - it will quickly even up the edges.

On the right side is a piece of cocobolo with varied-width grooves turned into the side. The leather edges can effortlessly be compressed, burnished, and slicked using this tool. Smooth the edge on the sander (if needed), add a little ā€œhelperā€, choose a matching groove, and then use light pressure and allow the friction and heat from the wood to compress and slick the leather.

Note that the heat from burnishing will also darken the leather at the edge.

Helper?

Gum Tagaranth, water, saddle soap, or beeswax are often used to help with burnishing/slicking process. I personally like to use saddle soap, but in testing the tool Thursday night, water worked just fine. Gum Tagaranth is traditional, and may make for a tighter finish. If used, apply sparingly (with your finger is fine) and let it dry for about 5 minutes before using with the burnisher.

Burnishing Accessories

There is a C-clamp provided to attach the machine securely to the table when in use. There is also a spare sanding drum and a cordura drum which can be used instead of the cocobolo for burnishing - some leatherworkers prefer cordura/denim/canvas to wood for slicking. The burnisher is on top of the Leatherworking Cabinet and these spare parts are stored inside the leatherworking cabinet.

Flat Table for THOR

I purchased and installed a flat worktable for THOR. This provides a flatter surface when working on book covers, etc. The table installs with three screws and can be removed/installed in a couple of minutes.

The table was designed by Uwe Grosse and is well engineered. It is close fitting and has a gray magnetic access panel to the left of the needle which can be popped out to provide visual access for bobbin changes. The covered oil ports are accessible without needing to remove the table.

Note that this is somewhat smaller than the table sold by Sunny Sewing Center, but that extension is designed for a different rolling table than the one we have and is not compatible without some modification.

Converting From Cylinder to Table (and Back Again)

Here is a video on how to install the UT441 table. Removing the table is straightforward as well. Converting from one to the other takes perhaps two minutes.

The parts removed from THOR when installing the table are stored in an Altoids tin in the table drawer. They consist of the Throat Plate and the two Throat Plate screws.

The table attaches with three screws: two screws reused from the Accessory Plate (which often holds the adjustable edge guide) and a third provided screw.

When removed, the larger 3rd screw on the right center should be placed in the Altoids tin, and the other two screws are reused to reattach the adjustable edge guide.

Cash Donation From Leather Sale

The money to pay for these parts came from the Leather, etc. Sale that I held last month (with much help from @coloneldan). In addition to making a LOT of leather available for the local Maker community to use, we raised a total of $3,034. After paying for the storage building and the above equipment, I was left with $1,815.32. The entirety has been donated to DMS as well (earmarked for Leatherworking). Thanks to everyone who helped make that sale a success.

I sincerely hope that the Makers at DMS make good use of the leather they purchased (please share pictures here on TALK) as well as enjoying the new leatherworking equipment.

28 Likes

Thank you @HankCowdog and @coloneldan for organizing and work to make all of this happen!!

3 Likes

Just as a matter of record Gulfstream has donated to DMS for four years now. The first time I was teaching in leatherworking and Leanne showed up with a carload of leather samples and asked if we wanted them. I accepted and deposited them, with the CA chairā€™s permission, in the CA work area.

The next year she called me and I went to Love Field to retrieve a truckload of wood and leather used in the interiors of Gulfstream.

The next year is was a truckload of leather, veneer, and some odds and ends of carpet, acrylic etc.

This year is was literally a warehouse full of leather, carpet and corian. I made four trips to their warehouse close to downtown and I couldnā€™t get all of it. She tells me that there still may be some veneers we can get.

All in all she estimates the donations at over $150,000 in retail value. One carpet this load was worth $8000 according to Leanne. Much of the material used to find its way to the donation/freebie shelf. Mike volunteered to help raise some money from the sale of the leather this trip.

One thing Leanne loves is when people provide pictures of things that they make of the donated material. I capture these off of talk and send them to her via email. The other thing that Gulfstream loves is that the material doesnā€™t end up in the landfill. All in all this is a win-win for all concerned. Thanks to everyone who contributed/donated for the leather. I know that the money will and has been very well used. I want to especially thank @HankCowdog Mike Churchill for his excellent work.

10 Likes

Hereā€™s a couple pictures of a little computer case I made out of leather-sale leather. Thanks to you both!

6 Likes

All hand-sewn, too. Thatā€™s dedication! Good job, @brsims

5 Likes

Wow! Those are such great purchases, the flat table for the THOR is going to be incredibly helpful. Much appreciated!

4 Likes

These purchases were discussed with Leatherworking SIG Chair and others in CA, so werenā€™t a complete surprise.

2 Likes

One of these days Iā€™ll be better about checking Talk more often!

HAPPY DANCE FROM THORā€™S SERVANT!
(the sewing SIG leader)

4 Likes

Does this need a big-ass sign on it that says ā€œLeather onlyā€? Should people be banned from CA for some period of time for sanding wood on this?

1 Like

Absolutely. Please letā€™s take care of our new equipment.

1 Like

These are awesome tools! Iā€™m anxious to use them.

The ā€œspec sheetā€ for the Weaver Leather Master Tools Power Edge Slicker seems to say that this weighs 35 pounds. If so, is there anyplace something this heavy can be stored thatā€™s not above (some) peopleā€™s heads?

Iā€™ve already suggested to @jnorine (Leatherworking SIG Lead) in a PM to find a better permanent home for it (inside one of the cabinets, perhaps?).

1 Like

And that is the goal - Iā€™m in California for the next few weeks (helping my brotherā€˜s family with a newborn in COVID-time); when I get back, itā€™s on the to-do list.

In the meantime, if someone ā€œin-the-knowā€ wants to take charge of homing it - I would gladly defer to them and follow their suggestions.

2 Likes

Hey John - if nothing else, I may be able to find it a spot in the Sewing Room at a lower level. I schlepped all the de-commissioned sewing machines to the auction corral in the north warehouse, so we have more shelf space. Iā€™m thinking a good option might be transferring that little IKEA butcher block thing to leather, and then it would have a home with wheels that could be rolled where needed.

Happy baby bouncing!

3 Likes

That is brilliant - and I am very grateful for everything you have done. You are one in a million, and hope people recognize that.

1 Like

(fist bump)

2 Likes