New Laser Cutter

Our new mega laser is rounding Japan

Nearly to the International Date Line now.

Does that mean it will get here yesterday?

:wink:

2 Likes

I perused the User Manual(s) and couldnā€™t figure out much. I will be looking forward to the class!

the class :scream:

Thunderlaser software is available on their website, I think we still have some time to play with it. Are we decommissioning the FSL immediately or will we have all three lasers hooked up for a week or so.

We donā€™t have room for the FSL and thunder to be up at the same time. Its hopefully going to disappear before the thunder laser is waiting for its spot

the new Thunder laser software manual is there too in their support section. Iā€™ll add it to the wiki.

The new laser cutter is in a warehouse near DFW airport. It will be delivered to the space soon. It has cleared customs but is awaiting FDA clearance.

4 Likes

Not trying to start anything, but curious. DId you mean the Food and Drug administration has to clear the laser cutter?

Thatā€™s correct. The FDA regulates laser devices of all kinds, including those destined for industrial use like our new laser cutter.

http://www.fda.gov/radiation-emittingproducts/radiationemittingproductsandprocedures/homebusinessandentertainment/laserproductsandinstruments/default.htm

3 Likes

How do I get them to look at my cat toy?

Geez Louis. Canā€™t keep there fingers out of stuff I guess. Lol. Can we just tell them is has nothing to do with food & we are not making drugs with it? Lol. (Sarcasm there if you didnā€™t guess it)

Considering this has the potential to blind or maim people itā€™s a small inconvenience to have some oversight.

True but of all the agencyā€™s, FDA would be the last one of think of for oversight.

Not really. They have domain over medical gear and lasers are a big deal there in multiple fields of specialization. You really donā€™t want unlicensed medical practices out there.

Pretty sure I wouldnā€™t want to be the first one to have a non-FDA approved Lasik machine on my eyes. How about that oversight pun intended

I didnā€™t even think about Lasik. How eye opening.

2 Likes

Sometimes I regret including the details. :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Currently, the FS Laser is the only one capable of doing Raster. Can we please not take it out of service until we have the Zing in service so we donā€™t lose Raster ability?

Yes, I know the new Thunder laser can do Raster but it will take awhile to get it up and then more time for the classes to be developed. Even so, it is very possible that I canā€™t use its Raster function if it is unable to get the power set down to 0.01% power. Thus the Zing would be the thing.

Iā€™m still working on my project and Iā€™d like to avoid a lengthy down time due to loss of low power Raster ability.

Thanks for your consideration.