New Kid on the Block

Howdy,

My family and I joined this week. My 11yo son is big into aerospace and has dreams of custom building a quadcopter of some sort. He met a 13yo girl at last year’s Austin Makerfaire as inspiration for what he wants to build.

Here’s my request…

Is there anyone at the space on a semi-regular basis working in the aerospace corner, or fabricating parts with the 3d printers, that he could observe? At this point mostly to take in how others are designing/fabricating, but if someone is willing to give him guidance on his build, I will be forever indebted.

He asks great questions and is a sponge for knowledge.

Thanks,
Brent

2 Likes

@themitch22 @axeonos @hasbridge Can you folks put the word out to your hoards?

Have him build one of these :slight_smile: https://hackaday.io/project/1230-goliath-a-gas-powered-quadcopter

1 Like

@rshill: That’s awesome. Based on your suggestion, I’m assuming your are offering your time/resources to assist? :wink:

Happy to help however I can, but I’ve never even flown a quadcopter.

What kind of quad? Has he flown any before?

I’d suggest he start with a cheap RTF quad like a Husband or similar, then build a quad in a similar scale using the same family of parts. I personally just purchased a full FPV quad for $70 that uses the almost all of the same parts as a Hubsan, and I know that there are multiple different frames on Thingiverse that are designed for the Husband styled quads.

2 Likes

He can come to a 3D printer class. I need to get more on the calendar, I’ve been busy for the last week and usually I’m at the makerspace after 11pm. I agree with Hardsuit, get him a blade nano qx to crash and rebuild, just like I did, it’s better $60 than $300+ and lots of time. I am still not an expert flyer. There’s a lot of 3D printable quad parts out there though, I can at least show you how to use the printers at the space.