New Hydraulic Press

We have a new 50 ton air over hydraulic ready for use. The only rules are be safe (wear eye protection), ask someone first if you don’t know what you are doing, and post a picture of anything interesting you do with it.

Also you should not attempt to press pennies without using a hardened surface, I vastly overestimated how hard the steel is on the bolster plates that go across the bed when testing it up to its rated 50 tons of force

It did get flat, but it also pressed a penny shape into the steel

Some assembly pictures:

11 Likes

NICE!
and a whole bunch of letters just to say NICE!

1 Like

This is awesome. Can we do a youtube channel for Dallas Makerspace Hydraulic Press Videos? LOL

1 Like

What are the thoughts on building a press brake attachment for it?

Similar to this http://www.swagoffroad.com/20-TON-Press-Brake-DIY-Builder-Kit_p_40.html

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea. I didn’t measure it, but the end of the ram is a removable attachment with a set screw holding it in, so can take that out and machine different pressing tools that fit in there

So the plates they provided can’t even stand up to the rating of the machine?

More likely, they weren’t expecting such a small contact area. 50 tons over 50 square inches is a much different game than 50 tons over 1 square inch after any surface details are flattened out, and a different game than the same 50 tons over 1/8 inch or less that is the ridges in the engraving that contact first.

What does surprise me is that the details in the copper clad zinc penny are hard enough to press into the steel.

I’m not sure how to calculate the expected surface hardness of your average steel, but a penny is only 0.44in^2, so it was pressing into the steel plate with a force over 200k psi

It is a chinese made tool. That is made to a price point. Shouldn’t be a surprise.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641790_200641790

1 Like

I am about to go out for a while, Latter I will post a link to a guy that make presses and things
to use with them for jewelry type things, Like stamped designs in metal, I have been wanting to do this
and realized that the old press was very limiting in what it could do,

Potter Tools and here is a more general site

There is also a FB group called Potter People

1 Like

At this point, is there a reason to keep the arbor press?

Arbor presses don’t blow seals…

3 Likes

It’s faster for lighter duty tasks.

3 Likes

The are a vast series of machining operations for which a hydraulic press is not an appropriate tool. Starting with the reason we purchased the arbor press; broaching key ways.

Also, an arbor press isn’t going to break as easily as this Chinese tool…

3 Likes

yes
they are two different tools - much more control on the dinosaur arbor press.
I say keep it (but I like old world tools better than shiny chinese crap)

2 Likes

The arbor press is way faster for repeat menial tasks like smashing bottle caps

2 Likes

The arbor press is excellent for broaching. It allows better control.

2 Likes

Broaching. The arbor press has the table and ram to do broaching/

1 Like

This is amazing! :slight_smile: Can’t wait to see it in action!