New green dots on DMS Members

How about adding a black perimeter to this one:

(so it looks like you “cut out” the DMS logo, i.e. square, but with the black border)
like so
logo_20-20

3 Likes

Yup. The following style moves the dot underneath the avatar. After that whatever you imagine can be done.

z-index: -1;

Update: Also bear in mind the green dot was original on the far right side of the display so we should be able to position the flair wherever we want (e.g. below the avatar instead of overlapping).

4 Likes

I agree. And this is something that is going to be repeated many times on a page, which may amplify the effect. It seems to me that the goal is to let people check if someone is a member by simply glancing at their profile picture—but we don’t want to make the indicator so attention-grabbing that it draws the eye away from the content of the thread.

The contrast ratio on the gray one I initially proposed is approximately the same as that on @mentions, and the Maker M has been fit to the pixel grid to optimize edge contrast on standard displays. If allowed by Discourse, I would consider using a tweaked alternative version for high-DPI displays.

Blue was my first thought, but I am concerned that it would affect usability since blue is already used by the Discourse UI to draw attention to key, clickable elements.

2 Likes

My avatar looks like it’s trying to lick the dot.

I don’t have a problem with this.

4 Likes

Now I’m going to have to try to get my picture to interact with the dot. Thanks, Scott!

3 Likes

Doesn’t appear to be working at all on mobile, now.
Not sure if that’s as expected…

1 Like

Also. I’m not sure, but I THINK this broke the edge buttons on mobile, making it essentially impossible to reply, cancel, etc.

1 Like

I haven’t had it work on my phone yet (iPhone/safari, but thank goodness that’s not common combination :wink: ) but does appear on kindle/silk browser, so it’s hit or miss on mobile.

I do find myself starting to imagine fun new avatars…

Btw, thx for messing with all this @John_Marlow Chris, asking for feedback and trying to find something that works for most

[edit] ok, for your data, it appears that on iPhone/safari SOME have green dots, some not. I’ve not yet sussed out the pattern…

1 Like

Yeah. I’m now seeing it for some users/posts, but not others… Screwy, I think, is the weird I’m going to ascribe…

1 Like

No green dot with Pixel 2. But otherwise seems to be OK.

I’ve been having the same trouble lately, but I didn’t think to relate it to the new dots. And think I’m only seeing the dots on the OP, not throughout the threads.

Also curious… Are people going to be removed from the members group as quickly as they will be added now since we seem to be much more sensitive to membership status and the Talk forum?

1 Like

If we had a good way to keep up with that information …

1 Like

As soon as one of our volunteers comes up with an automated way to clear up the list we will be golden. Until then, admins and moderators will look closely at troublesome posters to see if they are members or not.

1 Like