New Extruder at Dallas Makerspace

For more detail on how to use it see Nathan or Me.

Enjoy the pics

9 Likes

Oh cool like a giant play-doh set. Fun fun fun.

3 Likes

It basically is! I have video, but I can’t figure out hwo to post it.

1 Like

An extruder is a lot of fun, Has anyone considered doing a class with it? If not, give a bit to get back into it and I will.

Play away! :slight_smile: John K can show you how it’s set up, or I can go over it next week when I get back from vacation. We have three die plates with several options of shapes, but currently do not have plates for extruding tiles or hollow forms.

I would love to work with a metals master on creating more dies. I have one at school that I could use a few different ones (although once you have the basics it’s usually good)

I plan on being at the space Thur and can demo it then.

1 Like

I will be teaching a class till around 8-8:30. I would love to have some for hollow forms. Those have always almost seemed like magic to me!

1 Like

I hate hand rolling coils and need to do it about once a month.
Beth do you know why it was removed?

That’s the one we still have. There’s not really space to mount it permanently, but they welded a clamp to it so it’s easy-on-easy-off on one of the storage area shelves (the big pallet size ones). Carl has used it on the last two sets of mugs to extrude his handles.

Amanda said that we don’t need to have the plates made out of acrylic – that a thick wood will do. I need to find a chunk of inch-thick plywood in the woodshop scraps, and then have you cut it to size, and drill some holes in it. Amanda pointed out that if it’s extruding multiple bits, then you don’t have as much stress on the plate. The simple hole plate that came with the thing makes truly enormous coils. I taught a class with it a couple of years back, and we would up rolling the coils down smaller to work with. We might want to varnish the wood to keep it from warping.

I wonder if we could make a plate with some acrylic and maye
Masonite If that combo will work on the hydraulic press it should work
vor the extruder

We already have acrylic plates that John K and Nathan cut on the laser. Wood is easier, unless you’ve got a thick acrylic plate hanging around. We’ve got thick pieces of wood hanging around.

Do we have any to make hollow forms

With the right D hardware you could. Ceramics arts daily had an article. Steel scrap outta a plasma could be an idea if it’s thicker and gets powder coated but yeah, we have wood lol

1 Like