New equipment in the metal shop

Ok so if you walk into the metal shop you will see the new brake, shear & slip roll. Please do not use these yet. I know it’s tempting but don’t use it yet. It won’t be long before they will be able to be used. We do not want these items to get broken, they are expensive and rather time consuming to get right.

14 Likes

If the 12" shear goes away, please let me know. I’m interested.

Get with Chuck Graf @dallasmagna

Are these available for use yet, or are they still “hands off”?

Classes have been scheduled and taught already

2 Likes

We are requiring training on the new equipment. I hate saying that training is required but I’m afraid that other that are not familiar with the equipment could easily damage it badly. Take for instance someone using the shear to cut hardened steel, it would ruin the blade. The magnetic brake puts 6 tons of force once magnetized, that would easily crush someone’s fingers. It not as simple, unfortunately, as just turning it off either.
I have already given 2 classes on the new equipment, more classes are coming soon.

We may discuss this at the next committee meeting.

2 Likes

Awesome ~ great to know!

Thanks for the clarification and all!

I just did a Google search and noticed there was one on January 15th and another just this past weekend. Thanks for doing the classes and helping keep our members and tools safe! :dms: :smiley:

For those wondering, this link will show you the class description from last weekend’s class:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1698

Class on Sunday was excellent. Definitely wouldn’t want to use any of those machines without a class.

1 Like

Here is a picture of what the brake did. Radius bends, multiple angle bends (courtesy of @MathewBusby) & a hem.

Then there it the ones done on the slip roll.

8 Likes

Can confirm, did bend stuff.

5 Likes

Anyone up to do another class for the sheet metal brake? I just got cleared on the cnc plasma cutter and stoked to use the bender.

2 Likes

I lucked in to the last one, and it’s FUN!
I need a better imagination so I can DO some stuff, but I played around with some scrap that was left laying by the Beverly throatless sheer and found it quite intoxicating.
Due to my lack of imagination, skill, and experience, I need LOTS more practice.
Looking forward to it.

TL;DNR: Yeah buddy! Fun stuff! @TBJK

1 Like

I like it. I recall a thread a while back asking about bending steel rule die. Looks like the brake would be useful for that for simple shapes. (Round coasters anyone?)
cheers!

I should be putting one up soon. I may make the next one a Saturday class.

4 Likes