New Dye Sub Printer

The new Virtuoso SG800 Dye Sublimation printer is at the 'Space. I will be back in to get it set up after work. The new printer will allow printing on paper up to 11" x 17". We will have paper of that size available for purchase in the very near future.

One change on the Dye Sub front is that the cost of paper will be going up slightly. We will post the new pricing as soon as it is firmed up.

13 Likes

Yay! I’m ready to learn dye sub now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll get a class scheduled as soon as I can.

1 Like

Two Dye Sub 101 classes have been submitted. First for Tuesday, August 29th at 6:30 pm, and second for Saturday, September 2nd at 10:00 am. They should show up on the calendar around 3 pm on Saturday the 19th.

5 Likes

For clarification do we need to go back through training if we have already been trained on the previous printer?

1 Like

No, it still uses the PowerDriver, but will have a new model number. The printer settings dialog box may be slightly different, but should be close enough to figure out. If you have any specific questions, just PM me or contact me any other way you know how.

2 Likes

Awesome!

It can still use the smaller paper right?

Yes, it can. 1234567890

1 Like

I have updated the main Tools list and the Dye Sub wiki to show the new printer, and I linked to its (135 page) user manual.

The Dye Sub wiki includes the price for the paper, so that will need to be updated once the price is set. If you let me know, I will gladly update that page.

Also, the Tools list and the Dye Sub wiki say that we have:

JTrans 8-in-1 heat press that works as an 11" x 15" flat press

The size of that sounds wrong. Is that the correct heat press, or does that need to also be updated?

EDIT: Once the new printer is operational, either please update the Tool Status Board or let me know and I will cheerfully update it.

2 Likes

That’s one of our heat presses. The older one that has various configurations (8 in 1). Since purchasing the newer one, the JTrans is currently configured as a hat press.

Our newer one is a Stahls’ MAXX20 Heat Press (16" x 20"): https://www.stahls.com/maxx-clam-heat-press

Here’s a link to the Operator’s Manual: https://www.stahls.com/stahls/content/pdf/HeatPressManuals/Hotronix-MAXX-Digital-Clam-Press-Operators-Manual.pdf

The new printer is operational. I believe we should be able to post the new prices tomorrow (they have been decided; however, still need to be updated on the Square payment kiosk…).

Thanks!
:smiley:

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Dye sublimation class request

I’ve updated the price in the Wiki and it should now match the Square in CA.

2 Likes

I’ve updated both the Tools list and the Dye Sub wiki to reflect this. Please feel free to add to or edit this. The description in the wiki is particularly sparse.

1 Like

I really like that you’ve done the pricing in a way that keeps the pack price a round number. Makes it easy for dinosaurs like myself who prefer to pay in cash! :money_with_wings:

3 Likes

Here is the pricing that Cary posted:

$5 for a (4) sheet package of (8.5" x 14" / Legal) or $10 for a (4) sheet package of (11" x 17" / Tabloid) dye sub printer paper (this covers the cost of the other consumables such as heat-proof tape, adhesive spray, etc.) Single sheets are not available.

In addition, if you provide your own paper there is a reduced fee. This “no paper required” fee is $1 per page printed for Legal, $2 for Tabloid.

1 Like

Also, we will be moving the dye sub paper into one of the drawers in the lateral file under the TV. It will be labeled Dye Sub Paper. I will be building packs of Legal and Tabloid sized paper on Sunday. Thank you everyone for your patience while we got this resolved.

4 Likes

Cost per area is amazingly similar: 11 x17 = $1.93/sf and 8.5 by 11 = $1.95 s/f

1 Like

The smaller paper is legal. Did you factor that into your calculations for 8.5 x 11?

7 posts were split to a new topic: ISSUE: Not able to print from the new Sawgrass SG800 printer

@LisaSelk might be able to shed some light.

1 Like