New Digital Arts PC

We finally have it - The new Digital Arts PC

The shiny and improved digital arts PC is up and running in Creative Arts. Thanks to everyone who helped source parts, and get it up and running!

Along with the desktop PC, we have a huge (compared to the old) 27" 2k Pro-Art monitor which will be essential if your work demands quality color rendering.

And also, to go along with the huge monitor is a FANTASTIC Artist 24 Pro graphics tablet from XP-Pen, which is a massive 24" 2k beast. (the pen is clipped on the right hand end, please put it back when not using)

Currently, we are working on getting the Adobe art suite installed and ready to go, but I did manage to install Silhouette Studio yesterday and that is ready for use (be sure to plug in/unplug the USB when done. Iā€™ve also ordered a longer USB cord).

Ok, now for five short notes and important bits that I probably should of been mentioned first

1. This is VERY SHINY, please keep it that way. The dust around DMS will settle on the graphics tablet and it will need GENTLE dusting before use, otherwise we run risk of scratches. (I ordered cleaning/dusting equipment for it)

2. Iā€™m also going to order several sizes of specialized ā€˜glovesā€™ for those of you who would like to get more use than usual out of it. There will be a tiny nominal charge for a glove that you get to keep, but they will help you greatly with using the tablet (and reduce sticky fingerprints).

3. Again, this is all new and shiny. PLEASE TAKE CARE OF IT. Iā€™d love to see it last 120 years like the old PC.

4. Expect lots of new ā€œRemember!ā€ signs around the area

5. If you need any software installed, please message me and I will make the arrangements.

Oh also, please note that the black desk that bares the PC and monitors (and the Silhouette Cameo) is strictly just for the design PC. Do NOT place, or operate any other equipment or work on any other projects on the black desk!! We have huge tables out in the main room for you to work on.

Iā€™d also like to see no food/drinks on the desk, but makers are a hungry bunch. Just be mindful and considerate.

Ok, I think iā€™m done.

Enjoy the new digital art computer, we made it for you!

Mark (Limey)

8 Likes

Thanks for getting this done!

1. Does it happen to have a USB ā€œdongleā€ so we can plug in USB sticks without having to crawl around to the back?

2. Does it have the Adobe Creative Suite installed?

Adobe is almost installed, perhaps before the weekend? (Jay is working on it)

There are 2 USB ports on the front of the machine (on top), and a bazillion at the back that youā€™ll hopefully never need to use :smiley:

I doubt weā€™ll need more front facing ports, but if so I can grab a hub

1 Like

Sounds good! Thanks much. Two in front is an infinite improvement ā€¦ the old one didnā€™t have any and it also didnā€™t have a hub. Thatā€™s going to be such a nice convenience not to crawl behind the machine to try to figure out where to plug in your USB drive!

1 Like

Please add GIMP and Inkscape and PhotoScape. Theyā€™re open-source, I know, but theyā€™re what I know.

Letā€™s throw Solidworks on there as well; send me a private message for a code for that computer.

1 Like

Itā€™s not obvious why that should be on the Creative Arts Digital Arts machine. Whatā€™s your logic for that? Itā€™s not intended as a general purpose CAD design machine since it drives some of the CA hardware.

2 Likes

What kind of glovesā€¦got a link?

Likely something like this. It reduces the friction between your hand and the screen.

1 Like
  1. Why not? If this machine is new, itā€™s probably more powerful than older machines and can handle Solidworks rendering requirements.

2. Solidworks is free to us. It might be useful to have a computer around thatā€™s convenient for one-on-one teaching.

3. Solidworks can export 2D designs in DXF and similar formats, which would be good for making sketches that could be used on other machines (laser cutter, vinyl cutter, etc.).

4. Solidworks can be used to make visual aids, since it can export to tif, jpeg, and video format(s) (avi? mp4?).

5. The more things that computer can do, the better.

Oh. And for the same reasons, letā€™s put Blender on there. Thatā€™s good for video editing and modeling.

DT

That computer has a specific, dedicated use thatā€™s unrelated to CAD use or one-on-one CAD tutoring. It shouldnā€™t have unrelated stuff piled on it just because itā€™s a new, powerful computer. Ultimately itā€™s up to @mreynolds and the committee to decide.

3 Likes

You make an interesting argument. Letā€™s make it a single purpose machine. Letā€™s ONLY have Adobe Illustrator on it.

Exactly like that (minus the cool skeleton) @bitta. They help with the hand gliding over the screen.

LibreOffice too.

We have a committee meeting this coming Sunday (5th). Iā€™ll be sure and bring up the list of requested software!

3 Likes

An argument for SOLIDWORKS could be made because of the hardware requirements needed for it to run, but Libre Office does not need that level of hardware support, and in fact will run on just about every computer DMS has available to the membership.

I would say itā€™d be better to not tie up this system with word processing or spreadsheets when someone needs to use Photoshop (using the only pen display monitor at DMS) or run a vinyl cutterā€¦

3 Likes

Hey David,

Digital Media just built a new machine for the purposes your listing with higher-end hardware. I believe the CA machine isnt as specā€™d out. Please come by anytime as I believe most of the software you requested - is installed.

John/DM-Chair

6 Likes