New Class - the Business of Inventing - Getting Started

A new class has been added to the calendar to discuss the business of inventing.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1842

I’ll repeat the content here for reference:

This is the first class / discussion in a series that will run for several months. This first class will look at the broad topics of understanding if your great idea, or your invention is something that has real market potential. We will look at the fundamentals of marketing (the P’s of marketing), how to get started and then lay the ground work for the rest of the series.

The presentation part of the class will contain case studies and examples of previous inventions, both successful and not successful. Time will be allowed for questions and discussion.

If you have specific knowledge or expertise that you think would be helpful on any of the topics, please contact me in advance to see how we can work together on the content. Examples often tell the best stories so bring your success stories and your mistakes so we can all learn together.
Future Session topics will be determined based on feedback and interest but will likely include:

1. Business Structures & Protecting Intellectual Property
  2. Funding your company / product
  3. Accessing sales channels
  4. Promotion and Packaging
  5. Social Media and Adwords
  6. From Prototype to Production – how to build in scale
  7. Other topics as desired

I have set aside an hour for the class/discussion but if more time is needed we can adjust it in the future classes.

A little bit about me and why I’m doing this class - I currently serve as President and CEO of Sigmetrix, a mid-sized mechanical engineering software company based in McKinney. I am an accredited investor and serve on the board of the North Texas Angel Network where I sees hundreds of pitches each year from entrepreneurs and inventors that are looking for funding. The discussion in these classes are to help form some ideas for an article series I am writing so I would very much appreciate questions and discussion.

5 Likes

I have experience in writing PRDs or Product Requirements Documents.

These are the documents you use when you have a hardware or software product and you want to clearly define the features and functionality at a high level for the engineers. Use this to help clarify asks of a development team.

Raymond

Thank you for the notification. I don’t always check the calendar unless I am scheduling a class or event myself.

If you were trying to register and couldn’t, the class size was at 20 and it has now been raised to 30 so try again. The time has also been extended from 1 hour to 1.5 hours. Thanks Stan for making the changes.

1 Like

Don’t see any contact info for the instructor so I’ll just put it here. As the title reads, I won’t be able to attend. So if someone wants my spot I reckon there’ll be at least one stand by spot open.

1 Like

Aaron (@agvet), I merged your thread, “I won’t be able to go to the event ” The Business Side of Inventing - Getting Started” tonight” to this thread to make sure that Chris (@wilkesc) sees it. Thanks for the head’s up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will take it, thanks for the heads up.

I’ll be at DMS, but I would be willing to give up my seat in this class for someone who was interested.