New Class Schedule

Be sure and check out our new Class Schedule, on the calendar now. We’ve roped a few more members into teaching an introduction class (thanks Phil Crabtree and Mitch McDaniel) and have started a tool making class for those of you interested in learning to make tools that we can all use for years to come. The tool making group is limited in size, so if you’re interested reserve your spot today, through event bright or email. Be aware that we still have the old recurring event on the calendar, please ignore that until it’s removed. The following is the schedule for the next few months:

11/14 tool (john & sarah)
11/22 intro (phil & mitch)
12/06 intro (john & sarah)
12/12 tool (john & sarah)
12/20 intro (phil & mitch)
01/03 intro (john & sarah)
01/09 tool (john & sarah)
01/17 intro (phil & mitch)
01/31 intro (john & sarah)

If you are interested helping out with the committee we have also scheduled a few work days to build and organize our area better, they are on 12/13 and 01/10.

If you have any question feel free to contact me at jhaskins at dallasmakerspace dot org, or Sarah at sarah.scott818 at gmail dot com, thanks

2 Likes

What kind of tools? I want a hammer with a very narrow face__wondering if it is possible to straighten out the claw end of cheap hammer and some stamping tools

Very happy to see some things on the schedule that aren’t Sunday am! Would you recommend / require taking the intro class before taking the tool class? It makes a bit of sense logically and would also be a way to help reduce the number of folks that might sign up for it and realize that Blacksmithing is not for them.

Yes, we do require attendees to the toolmaking class attend at least 2
intro classes unless they get special waiver from John or myself for just
that reason. It is spelled out in the class description. Class size is
limited as well.

If anyone is interested, please sign up using event bright.

Regards,
Sarah

1 Like

Hi Cairenn,

We will be starting out making tongs, chisels and punches, but as people’s
skills increase, we will likely go to more complex tools.

To answer your questions about hammers, yes, we absolutely can make them
as well as stamping tools. And blacksmiths regularly re-purpose old/cheap
tools. :slight_smile:

Many years ago, I made some stamps/liners with masonry nails and I just used my propane torch. I had to soften it and then reharden it and then reduce the brittleness. But that and helping a smith at an SCA event is about all I have ever done

I was thinking about getting the cheap alphabet stamp set from Harbor Freight and grinding the stamp off and using them as a base.

Sure, you can do that. If there is a different size you need, we can look
in the scrap buckets in front of the 3 burner forge. It’s a mixture of
metal, but you can use any of it you want.

That sounds great, is there a problem if I hang around for the tool class on Sat?

You are more than welcome to.

Hi Sarah when is your next intro class being held